Technical Agile Coaching
This book is 30% complete
Last updated on 2019-11-01
About the Book
Agile Coaching helps an organization to be more successful, by increasing agility. Techincal Agile Coaching is a kind of Agile Coaching that specializes in technical questions concerning how code is written. It's an aspect of agility that is often glossed over, and can be crucial for success. This book explains the best approach I know of to increase agility amongst software developers. You help them improve coding practices and how they collaborate. It's fun and challenging for the coach too.
The method involves doing mob programming with development teams, working in their production codebase. To complement this hands-on mentoring, you do short daily teaching sessions using exercises to learn particular techniques. In this book you will learn about this coaching method and how to do it in practice. From the details of daily coaching work to marketing your services and how to find a suitable assignment. It is a practical handbook for an aspiring coach and contains fresh ideas for an experienced coach looking for new ways of working.
- Why would you engage a Technical Agile Coach?
- Why would you choose to become a Technical Agile Coach?
- Structure of the book
- How this book relates to my other books
Part 1: Technical Agile Coaching in Practice
- Day in the life of a Technical Agile Coach
Coaching in a Mob Setting
- Everyone understands the code
- Skills are multiplied
- Visitors are quickly contributors
- Joining a smoothly functioning mob
- A Coach is a Visitor with an Agenda
Coaching Behaviours in the Mob
- Take Short Breaks
- Breathing space between sessions
Coaching situations illustrated with stories
- Finding direction
- Coaching questions to alter the direction
- Kindness, Consideration and Respect
- Ask for Observations
- “Liked, Learned, Lacked” Observations
- Your private retrospective
- Retrospective skills are essential
A First Day with New Teams
- Present yourself
- Meeting with each team
Frequently asked questions
- How can you learn Mob programming?
- Should you use a branch for the code you mob on?
- Why only Mob for Two Hours with Each Team?
- What if there are less than 3 teams in the organization?
- What if there are more than 3 teams in the organization?
- What’s the difference between a Technical Agile Coach and a Tech Lead or Architect?
- What is the most important thing to remember?
- How did you become a Technical Agile Coach?
- What if my teams have remote team members?
Part 2: Becoming a Technical Agile Coach
Bootstrapping your coaching career
- Preparing for a coaching career
- Ideas for how to get started
- Working with a Mentor coach
Finding an organization and teams to engage with
- What to look for in an organization to coach
- Preparations before you arrive on-site
- After the coaching
- Bootstrapping your coaching career
Part 3: Learning Hours
- Structure of a Learning Hour
Working in Small Steps
- First steps with TDD - Leap Years
- Selecting and ordering test cases with FizzBuzz
- Testing every Function with Yatzy
- Legacy Code
- When does design happen?
- Test Design
- Discovering Scenarios for a User Story
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.