Take Control of Slack Basics
Last updated on 2016-05-28
About the Book
The Slack group messaging system can be overwhelming, but with Glenn Fleishman's real-world advice, new users can come up to speed quickly, and more experienced users will find numerous techniques for participating more efficiently.
Slack is all about communication, so you'll learn how to write, edit, and react to messages; use snippets, posts, and audio calls to collaborate with team members; and create and manage both channels and direct message conversations.
You'll also see how to configure Slack's flexible notification system so you're alerted appropriately but not nagged. Plus, Glenn covers how to search old messages effectively, how to make Slack your control center by centralizing reports from other services via integrations, and numerous techniques for improving your productivity in (and with) Slack.
Join us in SlackBITS! Dip your toe into Slack via our public Slack group, where everyone is invited to ask questions and share tips about Slack, plus chat about Apple-related topics.
Some Slack capabilities are restricted to admins, and this book's companion title Take Control of Slack Admin explains how to set up and manage a team. Slack offers a free plan, so if you find Slack helpful at work, consider setting it up for your birding club or sports team too!
Questions answered for you in this book include:
- How do people find and enter those little emoji icons in messages?
- Is there any way to edit the message I just posted so I can fix a mistake?
- Are there more channels in my Slack team? How do I find them?
- What does it mean when names in the sidebar are bold or italic?
- What do the numbers next to channel or conversation names indicate?
- How can I reduce the number of notifications I get on my iPhone?
- Can I have Slack send me email for important notifications?
- How private are direct messages? What about private channels?
- What, exactly is Slackbot, and why is it talking to me?
- How do I find old conversations from last month?
- What techniques can I employ to be more productive in Slack?
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- Slack Quick Start
- Integrations and Bots
- Paying for Slack
- Slack Pros and Cons
Get Started with Slack
- Handle a Team Invite
- Decide Whether to Use the Web App
- Start Using Slack Apps
- Now That You’re Signed In
- Sign Out from Slack
Master the Interface
- Examine the Slack Window
- Learn Slack Shortcuts
- Quick Messaging FAQs for Beginners
Post Basic Messages
- Employ Etiquette
- Write a Message
- Edit or Delete a Posted Message
- Navigate in the Message List
- Interact with a Message
- Use the Message Archives
Go Beyond Basic Messages
- Work with Attachments
- Insert Snippets
- Create Posts
- Place Calls
Work with Channels
- Join a Channel
- Create a Channel
- Interact in a Channel
Conduct Direct Message Conversations
- Start a Conversation
- Continue a Conversation
- End a Conversation
- Make Your Presence Known
- Control Slack Notifications
- What Text Does Slack Search?
- Compose Queries
- Examine Results
- Refine Searches
Manage Bots and Integrations
- Chat with Slackbot
- Install Integrations
- Turn the Volume Down
- Keep the Noise Down for Others
- Centralize Communications into Slack
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...