Take Control of Pages
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2017-05-28
About the Book
Apple's Pages word processor is a big, sprawling app with hundreds of features tucked away in nooks and crannies, making Michael E. Cohen's comprehensive book an essential resources for newbies and experts alike. Those new to Pages, or still getting their sea legs in the transition to Pages 5 will appreciate Michael's guide to finding familiar tools, formatting text, and iCloud Drive quirks. And everyone will benefit from the book's discussion of advanced features like snaking columns (snarky columns are left as an exercise to the reader), list styles, layout options, and collaboration tools.
Whether you need quick help with a particular feature or steel-toed documentation with which to kick Pages into shape, this book is for you.
The book offers plenty of help with word processing:
- For everyday word processing, you'll find directions for working with fonts, tabs, indents, rulers, search and replace, spell checking, and more.
- For longer, more complex documents, you'll learn how to control headers, footers, page numbers, footnotes, and section breaks. Plus you'll find oodles of help with character styles, paragraph styles, and even list styles.
- For projects that go way beyond the norm, you'll learn how to create your own templates, complete with master objects.
- For collaborative projects, you'll come up to speed with the track changes and commenting features. You can also use the newfangled Share icon to collaborate with others (simultaneously) in an iCloud-based Pages document.
Layout and graphics merit attention too, in terms of:
- Turning off the usual word processing text flow so you can lay out independent objects more easily (perfect for posters!)
- Inserting text boxes, vector graphics, and all manner of media
- Styling text boxes and vector graphics with whizzy object styles (for example, you can specify a specific color and shadow)
- Being precise with smart guides and vertical rulers
- Creating a custom look with fills, shadows, opacity, and more
- Working in tables (which can act as mini spreadsheets) and creating charts
You'll also find thoughtful directions for managing your documents:
- What happens with fonts and features when you move Pages documents between Mac, iOS, and iCloud
- Whether and how to work with Pages documents in iCloud Drive
- How to import from Pages 4 (aka Pages '09), Word, text, and RTF
- How to export to Pages 4, Word, text, EPUB, and PDF
And lots more!
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- What’s New in the Second Edition
- Pages Quick Start
- What’s New in Pages
- Find the App
- Set Up an iCloud Connection
- Running Pages for iCloud
Where Is Everything?
- Get to Know the Interface Landmarks
- Create a New Document
- Open an Existing Document
- Save, Move, Rename, and Delete Documents
- Choose Fonts
- Set Paragraph Layouts
- Add Breaks, Numbers, Links, Notes, and More
- Set Document and Section Layouts
- Choose a Style
- Search, Replace, and Correct Text
Manage Your Styles
- Create Styles
- Handle Style Overrides
- Organize Styles
- Copy and Paste Styles
Organize Your Work
- Use Sections
- Use Lists and List Styles
- Make Tables of Contents
Learn Layout Possibilities
- Set Page Size and Layout
- Create Columns
- Use Guides with Rulers
- Arrange Objects on the Page
- Use Placeholders and Master Objects
Add All Sorts of Objects
- Use Text Boxes
- Use Shapes and Lines
- Use Media
- Change How Basic Objects Look
- Use Dynamic Objects
- Explore the Templates
- Make and Manage Your Own Templates
Be a Collaborator
- Get Ready to Share
- Start to Share
- Collaborate in Real Time
- Comment and Track Changes
Import and Export Your Work
- Import Other Document Formats
- Export in Other Formats
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright and Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...