Take Control of Calendar and Reminders
Last updated on 2017-05-15
About the Book
In the days before personal computers and mobile devices, we had to rely on paper calendars and to-do lists to help us organize our time and activities. Now, we have powerful tools, like Apple’s Calendar and Reminders, that are much more responsive to our needs. Put an event on your schedule, invite others to join, set yourself an alarm and even include the travel time it will take to get to your destination. Or, keep a list of to-do items, add to it and view it on all your Apple devices, and share your list with family or friends.
In this book, veteran Mac journalist and editor Scholle McFarland will guide you through getting to know these incredibly helpful apps, including lesser-known (but handy) features. For example, did you know that in Calendar you can set an alert for when you need to leave for an event, based on the travel time calculated using the location you entered for the event? Or that Reminders can prompt you to do something not only at a certain time, but also once you’ve reached a specific destination, like the grocery store?
If you’ve never taken the time to explore Calendar and Reminders, this book will show you how to make them an important part of your daily routine. If you’ve already been using Calendar and Reminders, you’ll learn how to use them more effectively, troubleshoot common problems, and delve deeper into their capabilities.
Let Scholle walk you through how to get the best out of Calendar and Reminders, including how to:
- Customize Calendar to your liking, from setting time zones, to color coding specific calendars
- Create events, making them repeat at regular intervals or on certain dates
- Set up notifications and alerts, so you never miss an event
- Invite people to events, or share your calendar with them
- Create, manage, and share lists in Reminders
- Set alarms in Reminders at a certain time or a certain place
- Use Siri to save time when creating events or reminders
- Easily check events and reminders on your Mac, iPhone, or Apple Watch
- Troubleshoot common problems in Calendar and Reminders
- Share calendars and reminders using iCloud Family Sharing
Read Me First
- Updates and More
- Activating Siri
- Calendar & Reminders Quick Start
Calendar vs. Reminders
- Day View
- Week View
- Month View
- Year View
Set Up Calendar
- Connect Calendar to iCloud
- Connect Calendar to Other Accounts
- Create More Calendars
- Tap into Special Calendars
- Color-code Your Calendars
- Customize Calendar
Work with Events
- Add an Event
- Add a Suggested Event
- Reschedule an Event
- Delete an Event
Invite People to Events
- Send the Invitation
- Get in Touch with Invitees
- Accept and Decline Invitations
Set Up Calendar Alerts
- Understand Alert Basics
- Custom Alerts
- Time to Leave
- Modify Your Default Alerts
- Turn Off Alerts for a Single Calendar
Share & Subscribe to Calendars
- Share an iCloud Calendar
- Share Calendars Hosted in CalDAV
- Subscribe to a Calendar
- Meet Reminders
Set Up Reminders
- Specify Where Your Lists Will Live
- Create Different Lists for Different Things
- Change Your Default Reminder List
- Manage Your Lists
Work with Reminders
- Add a Reminder
- Manage Reminders
- Sound the Alarm
- Set Other Options
- Check Off Completed Reminders
- Show Your Completed Items
Check Events & Reminders
- Check on Your Mac
- Ask Siri
- Check on Your iPhone or Other iOS Device
- Look on Your Apple Watch
- How do I prevent Calendar spam?
- How do I get rid of duplicate events?
- How do I remove duplicate birthdays?
- How do I get rid of duplicate iCloud calendars?
- How do I move a calendar to another computer?
- What if I made too many calendars?
- Why won’t my calendar show maps or travel time?
- Why can’t I see any of my reminders on my iPhone?
- What if I accidentally delete all my reminders?
- How can I get an On My Mac option?
- What if changes on one device don’t show up on another?
Use iCloud Family Sharing
- Set Up Family Sharing
- Share Family Reminders
- Share a Family Calendar
- Stop Family Sharing
- Transfer a Child to Another Family
Set Up Notifications
- On Your Mac
- On Your iOS Device
- On the Apple Watch
About This Book
- Ebook Extras
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Copyright & Fine Print
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...