Sensemaking, strategy, structures and solutions
About the Book
All of architecture comes down to one simple idea: things work better when they work together, with clarity, with elegance, on purpose. Yet how do we express that 'one idea' in practice, within our organisations? With what results, and for what business-value? This book describes the down-to-earth detail of everyday enterprise architecture, to show what architects actually do to deliver value fast, across the entire enterprise.
Working step by step through a real ten-day architecture-project, this book explores the activities that underpin sensemaking, strategy, structures and solutions in the real-time turmoil of an enterprise-architect's everyday work.
Topics covered include:
- how to use enterprise-architecture to tackle executive-level business-problems
- how to develop an agile architecture practice that can keep pace with the real-time pressures of the real business world
- how to identify the business-reasons and business-value for each activity
- how to thrive on the inherent uncertainties of the architecture process
- how to use context-space maps to guide sensemaking and solution-design
- how to apply architecture ideas and activities to describe what actually happens in a real enterprise-architecture project
- how to enhance architectural skills, judgement and awareness, for continuous improvement across the enterprise and in the architecture itself
If you want your enterprise to flourish and prosper in the midst of relentless change, this is one book you'll definitely need.
The Tetradian Enterprise Architecture Series presents new developments on theory, principles and practice of enterprise architecture – moving beyond IT to the whole enterprise.
- Enterprise-architecture for a real-time world
- Who should read this book?
- What's in this book?
Day 1: Get started
- Overall aim, scope and purpose
- Initial aim, scope and stakeholders
- Initial assessment
- Initial implementation
- Wrap-up on initial cycle
Day 2: Purpose, scope and context
- Main project: 'the architecture of architecture'
- Example project: 'respect', for a bank
Day 3: What's going on?
- Main project: 'to-be' assessment of architecture
- Example project: 'as-is' assessment for the bank
Day 4: What do we want?
- Main project: architecture 'as-is' assessment
- Example project: bank past/future assessment
Day 5: What's the difference?
- Main project: architecture gaps
- Example project: change-requirements for the bank
Day 6: How do we get from here to there?
- Main project: enhance 'architecture of architecture'
- Example project: reclaim respect for the bank
Day 7: Step-by-step details
- Main project: a plan to extend the discipline
- Example project: envisioning vision at the bank
Day 8: Putting it into practice
- Main project: implementing architecture
- Example project: vision and function for the bank
Day 9: What did we achieve?
- Main project: what next for our architecture?
- Example project: what next for the bank?
Day 10: What happens next?
- What was supposed to happen?
- What actually happened?
- What was the source of the difference?
- What can we learn from this?
The architecture information-stores
More on context-space mapping
- Books and publications
- Websites and other online resources
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.