Doing enterprise architecture
Last updated on 2012-03-15
About the Book
When you’re doing enterprise architecture, what should you actually do, in what sequence, for what business purpose? What skills and leadership do you need? What results should you expect? And how can you prove the business value of what you do?
For process and practice in the real enterprise, frameworks and methodologies such as TOGAF, FEAF and Zachman will all help, but it’s these practical concerns that often matter most. And that’s what this book will show you.
Topics covered include:
- how to extend existing IT-centric architecture to the whole of the enterprise
- how to identify business vision, values, structure and purpose, and include these as core anchors for your enterprise architecture
- how to map business functions, services, information-systems and process flows across the whole enterprise
- how to respond to changes in strategy, regulation, market and environment
- how to plan for business-continuity, disaster-recovery and risk-management
- how to tackle intractable ‘wicked problems’ in the business context
- how to keep maintaining and extending the agility and value of the architecture
If you want to bring your enterprise architecture practice to its full business potential, this is one book you'll definitely need.
- Doing enterprise architecture
- Who should read this book?
- What's in this book?
Preparing for architecture
- Purpose -- strategy
- People -- governance
- Planning -- frameworks
- Practice -- methods
- Performance -- metrics
A matter of maturity
Step 1: Know your business
- Vision, values, principles and purpose
- The enterprise context
- Functions and services
- Architecture governance
Step 2: Clean up the mess
- Business-systems and information-systems
- What do we have?
- Guiding the process of change
Step 3: Strategy and stuff
- Expand outward from IT
- This goes with that
- Compliance and quality
Step 4: Work with the real world
- Designing for service flexibility
- Planning for business-continuity
- From qualities to values
Step 5: Powering on
- The service-oriented enterprise
- Dealing with 'wicked problems'
- Enhancing enterprise effectiveness
- Hands-off architecture
- Architecture as relevance
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.