TaskWarrior for Writers
TaskWarrior for Writers
About the Book
Become a better writer through organization and focus.
Do you work on multiple projects simultaneously with overlapping deadlines and commitments? Get work that won't be due for weeks or months? Wish for clarity about what to do next?
TaskWarrior, might be the solution. TaskWarrior is a professional level tool used by programmers to get the most out of their workday. Despite its old-school interface, its ability to organize tasks and automagically surface what is most important is exceptional.
Have you ever sat long hours at a keyboard? Or covered every visible surface with reminders of important things you couldn't find later? Missed an important deadline? Or forgotten a project?
TaskWarrior for Writers teaches you how to get tasks out of your head and into a system where they can't be lost. Learn multiple ways to organize tasks so they are always discoverable when needed. Hide distractions and see only what is important so you can focus.
From the chaos of multiple projects, deadlines and tasks to switching between projects seamlessly and getting more written. TaskWarrior for Writers offers the tips and strategies to design workflows that accommodate with your work style.
The Leanpub philosophy is "publish early, publish often". This means that many Leanpub books are works in progress and TaskWarrior for Writers is no exception.
The current version (May 30, 2023) is a "testread" version. The first version of the book is content complete and the code minimally tested. The author is actively inviting feedback and corrections. Updates depend on the severity of the problems found. A second, expanded version of the content is planned, describing advanced features of TaskWarrior including hooks, more scripting, remote servers and commercial services.
- Getting Started
- Why TaskWarrior
- Why this Book?
- Who It is For
- Who It is Not for
- Who I Am
- But the Terminal? Really?
- What You Will Learn
- Digression: 5 Terminal Commands
- Installing Homebrew
- Installing TaskWarrior
- Installing Vit & Tasksh
- Summary of Installation
- Quick Start
- Four Foundational Commands
- Summary of TaskWarrior Commands
- Command Overview and Shortcuts
- Command Overview
- Task Attributes
- The Command Pattern
- Shortcuts and Vit
- Moving to Vit
- Modify / Update
- Revisiting Moving Around in Vit
- Summary of Command Overview and Shortcuts
- Date Modifiers: Due, Schedule and Wait
- Date Shortcuts
- Summary of Date Modifiers
- Tag Rules
- Setting Tags
- Removing Tags
- Virtual Tags
- Application: Process Steps with Tags
- Summary of Tags
- Projects and Sub-Projects
- Which to Use: Projects v Sub-Projects v Tagging
- Application: Context Batching
- Summary of Projects
- Other Task Modifiers: Priority, Dependency, Annotations
- Summary of Other Task Modifiers
- Working with Times
- Start/Stop Timing
- Application: tracking time v tracking active tasks
- Calculating Time
- Summary of Working with Time
- Applying Filters
- Summary of Filtering
- Changing Lists
- Lists Functionality Revealed
- Application: Combining Lists and Filters
- Summary of Lists
- Defining a New Context
- Setting a Context
- Clearing the Context
- Listing All Contexts
- Deleting a Context
- Summary of Contexts
- Reports Overview
- Summary of Reporting
- Customizable Lists
- Create a Report from Scratch
- Custom Report Description
- Defining Custom Columns
- Custom Column Labels
- Custom Column Sorting
- Custom Column Filtering
- Summary of Customizable Lists
- User Defined Attributes
- Setting up the Attribute
- Using the UDA
- Displaying the UDA
- Application: Size Workflow Hack
- Undoing UDAs
- Summary of UDAs
- Reviewing Tasks
- Tasksh for Weekly Reviews
- Commands for Reviewing
- Filtering Reviews
- Summary of Filtering Reviews
- Configuration Files
- Shell Configuration
- TaskWarrior Configuration
- Vit Configuration
- Summary of Configuration
- Bash Scripting and TaskWarrior
- Standardize Task List Creation (Bash)
- Working with Temporary Folders
- Backing Up the Database
- Summary of Bash Scripting
- Python Scripting and TaskWarrior
- Habit Builder (Python)
- Application: Dependency Trees (Python)
- Application: Dependency Visualization (Python)
- Summary of Python Scripting
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.