State in Flutter
State in Flutter
A Guide to State Management in Flutter
About the Book
If I say, StafulWidget in Flutter is actually a StatelessWidget, you'll get confused!
If I had said, stateful widget didn't make any sense, either you wouldn't have agreed, or you would have got more confused!
Hope this book will help you to be a Better Flutter Developer who can manage state and make her Flutter App more performant. However, for state management always use the latest Provider Package, and maintain Null Safety.
I also strongly recommend to read the latest Flutter blog at my website.
Let me tell you the truth. The stateful widget, although might come to help for a tiny app where we need to change a single class property, doesn't really make any sense for a big, complex flutter app.
Why not? Because it unnecessarily rebuilds the widgets resulting in huge memory usage.
The best solution to manage state, so far, is Provider. However, very recently Riverpod, a modified version of Provider has been gaining popularity, since it does not depend on Flutter anymore and can work independently.
In this book I have explained every bits and pieces of state management in Flutter, so you no longer get confused about state management anymore.
I also help you to understand the mechanism involved inside this confusion. How Flutter uses a separate State object and actually makes stateful Widget immutable or stateless?
This book discusses that topic and more.
The first question that comes to mind is, then what is State in Flutter?
Is that a Widget too? Or a Class? Type? Object?
In this book we've discussed State in a great detail.
If you're an intermediate learner or advanced professional who are still struggling with the complex concept of State in Flutter, then this book is for you!
This book has shown how to manage State efficiently. How to make your Flutter app more performant.
To have more confidence you need to understand the concept of Inherited Widget and how Provider package as a Wrapper class uses that concept too!
And I've discussed that too in great detail.
1. Getting Started
- Download Latest Flutter
- Who should read this book?
- Many options to manage State in Flutter
- Flutter for Windows
- Flutter for macOS and Linux
2. What is the difference between stateless widget and stateful widget in Flutter?
- What is stateless widget in Flutter?
- Stateless widget flutter Example
- What is build method in Flutter?
- How do you rebuild widgets in Flutter?
- When Should I call setState Flutter?
3. What is callback in Flutter? How do you pass a function in Flutter?
- What is callback?
- What is callback in Flutter?
- How do you call widgets in Flutter?
4. What is a map in Flutter? How do you map a list in Flutter?
- What is the key concept of State Management in Flutter?
- What is a map in Flutter?
- How do you map a list in Flutter?
5. Why is state management in Flutter? What is flutter state?
- How we change the widget state in Flutter?
- How to manage state of child through parent widget?
- How do you use stateful widget Flutter?
- How a Child Widget exports its state to its parent
- How Child Widget implements this special property?
- How the export and import of state take place
6. How many types of widgets are there in Flutter?
- What are visible widgets?
- What are the widgets in Flutter?
- How do I create a Custom widget in Flutter?
7. What is inherited widget in Flutter, how do you use state management?
- What is InheritedWidget in Flutter?
- How do you manage state efficiently?
- InheritedWidget manages state efficiently, but is that all?
- How do you use an inherited widget in Flutter?
- We keep our inherited widgets in a separate folders
- How do you manage state through inherited widgets?
- Extending state management to the second uncle and his child
8. What is flutter provider? How does provider flutter work?
- Why we need a Model?
9 . How do you use Provider Consumer to manage State in Flutter?
- How do you use Provider Consumer?
- What is the Problem in managing state in Flutter?
- How Flutter helps us to manage State?
- How could we notify Listeners?
- The Specific Steps to use Consumer widget
10. How do you use onPressed in flutter?
- How do you use onPressed in flutter?
- How do you call a function in flutter?
- What is flutter function?
- What is callback in flutter?
11. Provider: A recommended approach to manage State
- Ephemeral State or Single Widget is not enough
- Different approaches to state management
- A Step by Step guide to use Provider
- Multi Providers and Multi Models
12. How to Organize Flutter Code, Model-View-Controller Patterns
- The Role of Model
- The role of Controller
- The Role of View
13. ChangeNotifier and Provider context read and watch, when to use and how to use
- How can I improve my fluttering performance?
- How to avoid the anti-pattern and stick to the correct design pattern in Flutter?
- How have we got rid of widget rebuild in Flutter?
- How do you change the state in Flutter?
- What is ChangeNotifier?
- What is the difference between stateful and stateless widget in Flutter?
- What does provider do in Flutter?
- Provider helps you to avoid rebuilding widgets
14. Provider best practices: How to reduce widget rebuilds
- How do you use a provider in Flutter?
- When do I use stateful widget? Or, should I?
- How does stateful widget rebuild the whole tree?
- Model, View, Controller and Provider
- Model folder has three classes
- The Second Row Widget will listen to the Name Change Model
- Third Row Widget listens to Name Clear Model
- Finally the view folder and main method
- Here comes our Home Page
15. Riverpod, a better Provider for state management
- Riverpod has many options
- The greatest advantage of Riverpod
- The Data Model on which we’ll work in Riverpod
- Understanding Riverpod Scope
- How to watch a Provider object in Riverpod?
- How we can mix Riverpod Provider with old Provider package?
- The old Provider package is really gold!
16. Riverpod ChangeNotifierProvider Widget and why it is important to autodispose
- ChangeNotifierProvider in Provider package
- What is autodispose and why it is important?
- How to wrap a state object in a Riverpod Provider?
17. StateProvider in Riverpod, another Provider variant that makes State Management Simple
- What is StateProvider in Riverpod?
- App structure and segments
- StateProvider provides the state object
- Where Riverpod differs with the Package Provider?
- The controller widgets that build the business logic
- The data model of StateProvider
- How to read a StateProvider in Riverpod?
- There are multiple ways to read the StateProvider
- Watching the StateProvider
- Watch and Read the final StateProvider of our Flutter app
- Model to Controller to View
18. What is StateNotifier and StateNotifierProvider in Riverpod Flutter? How it reduces Widget Rebuilds?
- Data model of StateNotifierProvider
- The watch() and read() of StateNotifierProvider
- The relation between StateNotifierProvider and StateNotifier, a complex app structure
- How StateNotifierProvider reduces widget rebuilds?
- What does StateNotifierProvider in Riverpod mean?
- What kind of state we need to notify and provide?
- More you break, your code becomes more readable and maintanable
- How HomeStateNotifierProvider listens to NameNotifier
- How CartNotifierProvider listens to CartNotifier
19. Riverpod migration, WidgetRef ref, and What is new in Riverpod
- Why we need the latest Flutter and Dart SDK?
- Is Riverpod better than Provider?
- What is a WidgetRef?
- Model class with StateNotifierProvider in new Riverpod
- 20. What Next
Supporting Indigenous Peoples. Protecting the Amazon.http://amazonwatch.org
Amazon Watch is a nonprofit organization founded in 1996 to protect the rainforest and advance the rights of indigenous peoples in the Amazon Basin. We partner with indigenous and environmental organizations in campaigns for human rights, corporate accountability and the preservation of the Amazon's ecological systems.
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Recipes for DecouplingMatthias Noback
Write software that survives
CQRS by ExampleCarlos Buenosvinos, Christian Soronellas, and Keyvan Akbary
- Leverage your Software Architecture skills by learning everything about CQRS in detail with lots of examples
- Develop faster applications by applying CQRS and fostering Read Models and Projections
- Learn how to apply CQRS into a brownfield project from a pragmatic approach
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Maîtriser Apache JMeterPhilippe Mouawad, Bruno Demion (Milamber), and Antonio Gomes Rodrigues
Toute la puissance d'Apache JMeter expliquée par ses commiteurs et utilisateurs experts. De l'intégration continue en passant par le Cloud, vous découvrirez comment intégrer JMeter à vos processus "Agile" et Devops.
If you're looking for the newer english version of this book, go to Master JMeter : From load testing to DevOps
C++20 - The Complete GuideNicolai M. Josuttis
All new language and library features of C++20 (for those who know previous C++ versions).
The book presents all new language and library features of C++20. Learn how this impacts day-to-day programming, to benefit in practice, to combine new features, and to avoid all new traps.
Buy early, pay less, free updates.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Jetpack Compose internalsJorge Castillo
Jetpack Compose is the future of Android UI. Master how it works internally and become a more efficient developer with it. You'll also find it valuable if you are not an Android dev. This book provides all the details to understand how the Compose compiler & runtime work, and how to create a client library using them.
The PowerShell Scripting and Toolmaking BookDon Jones and Jeff Hicks
Learn the patterns, practices, and details of PowerShell Scripting and Toolmaking from the industry's two most recognized experts on the subject.
Mastering STM32 - Second EditionCarmine Noviello
With more than 1200 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the most complete guide around introducing the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL and STM32CubeIDE development environment.
Introduction to Data ScienceRafael A Irizarry
The demand for skilled data science practitioners in industry, academia, and government is rapidly growing. This book introduces concepts from probability, statistical inference, linear regression and machine learning and R programming skills. Throughout the book we demonstrate how these can help you tackle real-world data analysis challenges.
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...#1
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
Architecture and Decoupling
2 BooksThis bundle combines two of the most recent books by Matthias Noback, which together offer some serious material that will definitely level up your skills in web application development with a focus on long term maintainability, testing, and domain-driven design.
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...#3
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
Pattern-Oriented Memory Forensics and Malware Detection
2 BooksThis training bundle for security engineers and researchers, malware and memory forensics analysts includes two accelerated training courses for Windows memory dump analysis using WinDbg. It is also useful for technical support and escalation engineers who analyze memory dumps from complex software environments and need to check for possible...#5
Pattern-Oriented Memory Forensics and Malware Detection
2 BooksThis training bundle for security engineers and researchers, malware and memory forensics analysts includes two accelerated training courses for Windows memory dump analysis using WinDbg. It is also useful for technical support and escalation engineers who analyze memory dumps from complex software environments and need to check for possible...
Effective Kotlin bundle
2 BooksThe package of the most essential books for Kotlin developers, to become great developers. Effective Kotlin and Kotlin Coroutines by Marcin Moskała are both famous positions, well known and commonly recommended.
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...#10
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...