A career guide to gainful employment as a skilled software tester
About the Book
There is no shortage of material out there to help you become a better tester, but what about landing a role as a tester in the first place? How do you set yourself up for success? How do you set yourself apart from everyone else?
This book guides you through how you present yourself on paper and in person so prospective employers can see the best you have to offer. There’s a lot more to it than sending out your resume, a chat with a recruiter and an interview or two. We’re going to focus on
- Putting together a standout CV
- Techniques to improve your interview skills
- Building your personal brand and,
- What to do when you’re not actively looking
To make sure you’re prepared when the time comes to begin your job hunt or when opportunity comes knocking.
Bundles that include this book
About the Contributors
Table of Contents
Personal Brand Management
- Early Career - Establish Your Brand
- The Journeyman - Build and Expand Your Brand
- Utilising Your Network
- Applying Directly to Companies
- Running the Recruiter Gauntlet
- Job Boards
- Alternative Paths to Employment
Your CV - Your First Work Product
- The Cover Letter
- Targeting Your Cover Letter
- The 2-Pager
- Make Further Details Discoverable
- What to Include in Your CV
- CV Do’s, Don’ts
- What Do Interviewers Want?
- Interview Techniques
- Common Interviewee Errors
- Phone Interviews
- In Person
- Other Types of Interviews
- Interviewers Behaving Badly
- Questions for the Interviewer
Negotiating Salary and Benefits
- Early Career
- Mid Career
- Late Career
- Your initial salary sets the benchmark for future raises
- Remuneration Negotiation
What To Do When You’re Not Job Hunting
- Keep a log
- Create Narratives
- Discuss your career objectives with your line manager
- A Final Word and a Small Request
More Tales From The Trenches
- The Quiet Achiever
- Trying on Many Hats
- Try Before You Fly
- An Interview With Attitude
- Hiring - Beyond Interviews
- Ready, Fire, Aim
- Interviews Are Hard Work
- Monkey See, Monkey Poo
- Hidden Biases
- Interviewing is a Two-way Street
- How I Hire
- The Importance of Being Authentic
Appendix 1 - Questions and Prompts to Build Narratives
- People and Soft Skills
- Self Awareness, Improvement and Career Drive
- Other Common Interview Questions
Appendix 2 - Interview Practice Scenarios
- Scenario 1 - Conservative Bank
- Scenario 2 - Startup Company
- Scenario 3 - Agile to the Core
- Scenario 4 - Enterprise in Transition
Appendix 3 - Further Reading and Resources
- Job Hunting, Interviews, CVs
- Apprenticeship Links
- Testing Fundamentals
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them