Building Software Platforms
Building Software Platforms
About the Book
- PDF and mobile readers: You can get PDF, MOBI, and EPUB versions of the book from the Leanpub Store.
- Print: In case you want a physical copy, you can get it from Amazon. Check your local Amazon marketplace!
- Kindle: Leanpub lets you register your device to get a copy delivered directly to you.
In today's digital world, software organizations are increasingly turning to native cloud models to stay competitive and agile. Platform Engineering teams play a crucial role in this transition, curating and integrating technology innovations from cloud providers to enable business success through modern developer platforms.
But building these platforms is more than just a technical challenge. It requires a strategic approach that empowers developers to solve business problems and treats the platform itself as an internal product. With that goal, today's software engineering leaders like you seek architectural and strategic guidance for building successful systems in the modern cloud by leveraging serverless architectures and fostering a culture of continuous improvement within the organization.
Whether you're a platform engineer, a software developer, or a manager looking to transform your organization's approach to the cloud, this book offers pragmatic insights and best practices for building modern software platforms that drive business success. Building Software Platforms is a nonsense-free, principles-based guide to help leaders like you roll out this new architectural style so that development teams can focus on building and delivering value for the end users. In this book, the author shares the secrets of internal software platforms and introduces adoption strategies using Wardley maps.
To assist in this transition, Building Software Platforms curates an assortment of AWS innovations that describe how to design and implement many of the recommendations using AWS cloud services, with a preference for serverless computing.
Have a look at the Table of Contents right below!
- What’s in this book?
- Who should read this book?
- What will you learn?
- Here we go!
- PART I: STRATEGY
Chapter 1: Transitioning to SaaS
- Reinventing yourself
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Building and buying software
- Evolving toward a service economy
Chapter 2: Internal Software Platforms
- Appreciating the mundane
- Serverless: the modern cloud
- Empowering developers
- Internal software platforms
- Build and Buy patterns for the business services
- The benefits of internal software platforms
Chapter 3: Platform Services
- Designing for the people
- Core Infrastructure
- Lifecycle Automation Management
- Core Enablement Services
- Platform Design System
- Platform Configuration
Chapter 4: Platform Teams
- Holding fast, staying true
- What is a platform team?
- How do platform teams fit within the organization?
- What value do these teams create?
- Interacting with platform teams
Chapter 5: Platform Adoption
- The Digital Platform economy
- A multi-competence strategy
- Building platform-based business services
- Platform buy-in
- PART II: PRINCIPLES
Chapter 6: Technical Architecture Principles
- Favor serviceful platforms over monoliths
- Favor iterations over big up-front designs
- Favor asynchronous integrations over synchronous ones
- Favor elimination over re-engineering
- Favor re-engineering over multiplying
- Favor duplicity over hasty abstractions
Chapter 7: Technology Principles
- Make your platform reachable
- Define everything as code
- Use the cloud platform as a programmable system
- Secure your platform access and data
- Observability and visibility
- Use open standards
Chapter 8: Serverless-first Software Engineering
- Building portable software
- A serverless-first approach with AWS
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.