Technical leadership and the balance with agility
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2018-10-22
About the Book
This book is a practical, pragmatic and lightweight guide to software architecture, specifically aimed at developers, and focussed around the software architecture role and process.
If you're looking for the C4 model, this has been moved to Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 2 - Visualise, document and explore your software architecture.
About the book
- Why did I write the book?
- A new approach to software development?
- About the author
- About the book
1. What is “software architecture”?
- Architecture as a noun - structure
- Architecture as a verb - vision
- Types of architecture
- Towards a definition of “software architecture”
- Enterprise architecture - strategy rather than code
- Architecture vs design
- Is software architecture important?
- Does every software project need software architecture?
2. Architectural drivers
- 1. Functional requirements
- 2. Quality Attributes (non-functional requirements)
- 3. Constraints
- 4. Principles
- Understand their influence
- 1. What is “software architecture”?
3. The software architecture role
- 1. Architectural drivers
- 2. Designing software
- 3. Technical risks
- 4. Technical leadership
- 5. Quality assurance
- Software architecture is a role, not a rank
- Create your own definition of the role
4. Technical leadership
- Controlling chaos
- Collaborative technical leadership is not easy
- Do agile teams need software architects?
- Software development is not a relay sport
- Mind the gap
5. Software architects and coding
- A step back in time
- Should software architects write code?
- The tension between coding and being senior
- Software as an engineering discipline
6. The skills and knowledge of a software architect
- Technology skills
- Soft skills
- Domain knowledge
- From developer to architect
- Tips for new software architects
- 3. The software architecture role
7. Managing technical risks
- Quantifying and prioritising risks
- Identifying risks
- Mitigating risks
- Risk ownership
8. Software architecture in the delivery process
- The conflict between agile and architecture
- Technical vs functional design
- Software architecture provides boundaries
- How much up front design should you do?
- Firm foundations
- Contextualising just enough up front design
- Introducing software architecture
- The essence of software architecture
- 7. Managing technical risks
9. Appendix A: Financial Risk System
- Functional Requirements
- Non-functional Requirements
- 9. Appendix A: Financial Risk System
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.