Software Architecture for Developers
Software Architecture for Developers
Technical leadership and the balance with agility
About the Book
This book is a practical, pragmatic and lightweight guide to software architecture, specifically aimed at developers, and focussed around the software architecture role and process.
Bundles that include this book
Table of Contents
1. About the book
- Why did I write the book?
- A new approach to software development?
- 2. About the author
- 3. Acknowledgements
- 1. About the book
4. What is “software architecture”?
- Architecture as a noun - structure
- Architecture as a verb - vision
- Types of architecture
- Towards a definition of “software architecture”
- Enterprise architecture - strategy rather than code
- Architecture vs design
- Is software architecture important?
- Does every software project need software architecture?
5. Architectural drivers
- 1. Functional requirements
- 2. Quality Attributes (non-functional requirements)
- 3. Constraints
- 4. Principles
- Understand their influence
- 4. What is “software architecture”?
6. The software architecture role
- 1. Architectural drivers
- 2. Designing software
- 3. Technical risks
- 4. Technical leadership
- 5. Quality assurance
- Software architecture is a role, not a rank
- Create your own definition of the role
7. Technical leadership
- Controlling chaos
- Collaborative technical leadership is not easy
- Do agile teams need software architects?
- Software development is not a relay sport
- Mind the gap
8. Software architects and coding
- A step back in time
- Should software architects write code?
- The tension between coding and being senior
- Software as an engineering discipline
9. The skills and knowledge of a software architect
- Technology skills
- Soft skills
- Domain knowledge
- From developer to architect
- Tips for new software architects
- 6. The software architecture role
10. Managing technical risks
- Quantifying and prioritising risks
- Identifying risks
- Mitigating risks
- Risk ownership
11. Software architecture in the delivery process
- The conflict between agile and architecture
- Technical vs functional design
- Software architecture provides boundaries
- How much up front design should you do?
- Firm foundations
- Contextualising just enough up front design
- Introducing software architecture
- The essence of software architecture
- 10. Managing technical risks
12. Appendix A: Financial Risk System
- Functional Requirements
- Non-functional Requirements
- 12. Appendix A: Financial Risk System
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them