Sharing your work
Sharing your work
An open source toolchain for creating and sharing data products.
About the Book
This text covers a toolchain for creating data products with RStudio, Git, and Github. Through a single case study (the 2019 democratic presidential debates), we describe how to use Git (via the command line) to track changes to files, how to create beautifully formatted reproducible reports with Rmarkdown, and how to turn your data project into a website using Github pages.
You will walk away with a working data product (lots of code, data, and visualizations) a ton of resources, and a book for reproducing this process again!
Introduction: A toolchain for making data products
- What you will learn
- Why write a book for a toolchain?
- Who this book is for
- How we know this toolchain works
- Where do we find data?
- What tools will I need?
- After reading this book, you should feel better about…
- What this book covers
- What this book doesn’t cover
- How this book is structured
- What you’ll walk away with
Part 1: ‘Good enough’ data skills
- Why ‘good enough’?
- How to share your work
- ‘Good enough’ communication
- Get ‘good enough,’ then go for more if you need it
Part 2: “Have a workflow.”
- Principle 1: Use open-source software
- Principle 2: Write code
- Principle 3: Document everything in plain text
- Additional reasons for using R & RStudio
Part 3: Setting up your data science process
- Example: FiveThirtyEight’s 2019 Presidential debate project
- The Command line: Unix and Windows
- Good enough command-line tools
- Command line recap
Part 4: Keep track of changes with version control
- Tracing our steps
- Setting up Git
Part 5: RStudio.Cloud
- What have we done so far?
- Recap on RStudio panes
- Where should we write code?
- Documenting our projects
- Document changes with Git
- Knitting RMarkdown files
Part 6: Putting your project on Github
- What we’ve done
- Sharing our work with Github pages
- Introduction: A toolchain for making data products
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.