Make Money Outside the Mac App Store
Last updated on 2017-02-14
About the Book
To sell outside the Mac App Store doesn't have to take more than a couple hours.
Save days of research and start selling your app before an Apple review person would even notice your upload to the App Store.
Selling in the Mac App Store is easy. But it also cost you 30% of the revenue. And you can't provide a demo. And you can't provide upgrade pricing. And you don't get to know your customers.
FastSpring is a very well established ecommerce platform where a lot of big indie developer studios sell their applications for years.
It doesn't take much to jump onto the bandwagon and get all the flexibility of selling outside the MAS with next to no effort. You're in good company – and I've collected quite a few case studies of reknown indie teams like Smile and Ironic Software to show you what they do.
You can make more money per sale and integrate a time-based trial and license code verification into your app within the hour!
This book includes every step to get your app out there.
You'll learn how to perform the following tasks:
- Set up a product for sale at FastSpring, including license code generation and professional order confirmation e-mails.
- Guard your precious app against software piracy, requiring license code and name to let users pass.
- Implement a registration handler in your app which verifies the license information. You can copy this well-tested code right into your existing app!
- Add a time-based trial to your application which expires even when the application is running. This, too, can be copied right into your existing app!
As a bonus, you'll learn a few things about Mac software architecture through well-written, fully functional sample applications which are thoroughly tested. There are more than 200 test cases included in the code repository!
What This Book is About
- What You’ll Learn
- Why FastSpring?
- Getting a Few Technical Terms Straight
- Licensing Is All About a Big State Change
- Download the Code
- Project Organization
Set up Your App for Sale on FastSpring
- Setting Up Your App for Sale in FastSpring
- Configure License Code Generation via CocoaFob
- Generating Keys for License Code Generation and Verification
Sample App 1: How to Verify License Codes in Your App
- Embedding CocoaFob
- License Verifier
- Obtain License Information from the User
- Check for License During Application Launch
- Use an Embedded Web Store for Purchases
- Implement the Embedded Web Store Protocol
Sample App 2: Adding a Time-Based Trial
- Trial Information I/O
- Using the Clock to Obtain Time
- Ending a Trial
- Parting Words
- How to Sell Bundles on FastSpring
- In-App Purchases
- Order Confirmation Mail and App Activation via E-Mail
- Embedding CocoaFob with Objective-C
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.