Make Money Outside the Mac App Store
Make Money Outside the Mac App Store
How to Sell Your Mac App with FastSpring, Secure It With License Codes Against Piracy, and Offer Time-Based Trial Downloads
About the Book
To sell outside the Mac App Store doesn't have to take more than a couple hours.
Save days of research and start selling your app before an Apple review person would even notice your upload to the App Store.
Selling in the Mac App Store is easy. But it also cost you 30% of the revenue. And you can't provide a demo. And you can't provide upgrade pricing. And you don't get to know your customers.
FastSpring is a very well established ecommerce platform where a lot of big indie developer studios sell their applications for years.
It doesn't take much to jump onto the bandwagon and get all the flexibility of selling outside the MAS with next to no effort. You're in good company – and I've collected quite a few case studies of reknown indie teams like Smile and Ironic Software to show you what they do.
You can make more money per sale and integrate a time-based trial and license code verification into your app within the hour!
This book includes every step to get your app out there.
You'll learn how to perform the following tasks:
- Set up a product for sale at FastSpring, including license code generation and professional order confirmation e-mails.
- Guard your precious app against software piracy, requiring license code and name to let users pass.
- Implement a registration handler in your app which verifies the license information. You can copy this well-tested code right into your existing app!
- Add a time-based trial to your application which expires even when the application is running. This, too, can be copied right into your existing app!
As a bonus, you'll learn a few things about Mac software architecture through well-written, fully functional sample applications which are thoroughly tested. There are more than 200 test cases included in the code repository!
Bundles that include this book
Table of Contents
So You Want To Sell Your App Outside the Mac App Store …
- Goal of this Book
- Structure of the Book
Copy Protection with License Codes
- Terms Used Throughout This Book
- Licensing Is All About a Big State Change
- Download the Code
Set up Your App for Sale on FastSpring
- Setting Up Your App as a Product Listing
- Configure License Code Generation via CocoaFob
- Create and Customize Online Storefronts to Sell Your App In Style
- Test the Checkout Process
- Setup Instructions for the Classic Store
Sample App 1: How to Verify License Codes in Your App
- Embedding CocoaFob
- Writing a License Verifier
- Persisting License Information
- Encapsulate Verification and Persistence
- User Interface to Enter License Information
- Check for License During Application Launch
- Unregister Again to Test the App
Sample App 2: How to Add a Time-Based Trial
- Store and Read Trial Information
- Obtain and Work with Current Time
- Ending a Trial
- Persist the Trial Information at First Launch
- Wrapping Up the Time-Based Trial Changes
- What Could Come Next
- Bundle Sales on FastSpring
- Self-Hosted License Generator
- Conceptual Details of In-App Purchases
- Embedded Web Store for Purchases Within the App (Classic Commerce)
- App Activation Links in Your Order Confirmation via E-Mail
- CocoaFob and Objective-C
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them