Scaling PHP7 Applications (The Pro Package)
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2014-05-23
About the Book
Stop playing sysadmin and get back to coding. You didn't sign up to put out fires and figuring out how to scale MySQL isn't exactly going to ship features any faster. You know that learning the intricaces of my.cnf is a waste of time, but you don't have another choice. In the book, you'll get a crash-course on every important tuning option, why it matters, and a quick formula to figure out the perfect settings for your hardware. Bliss.
You've heard alot about Nginx and horizontal scaling, and there're thousands of tutorials out there, but the quality ranges from abysmal to "this must be a joke", and when you finally find a good one, it's usually for Rails. I know what it's like to scramble around, reading bad advice on StackOverflow, copy-and-pasting config files from some message board hope that one of them finally works... pulling at your hair, swearing at the screen.
What if it didn't have to be this way? What if there was a single, high-quality resource of information on scaling PHP, on doing things the right way, that actually focused on PHP and not Rails, Node.js or the flavor of the week? Something that taught you scalable architecture and things you might run into when your only user isn't your mom?Learn the perfect PHP stack, LHNMPRR
Okay, okay- nothing will ever be as catchy as LAMP ;-)
You'll master a new, more scalable stack called LHNMPRR (Linux, HAProxy, Nginx, MySQL, PHP, Redis, & Resque) that can scale just by throwing more hardware at. You'll be able to finally get your setup to be perfect, all while using a battle tested stack that's been proven to handle billions of requests.Think of it as your Cheat Code for PHP
<?php ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA ?>
You'll also see the exact configurations and technologies that were used and proven at massive scale— 22 billion HTTP requests per month, thousands of MySQL queries per second— basically a metric-truck ton of visitors.
The Pro Package
The BEST option for individuals or companies just getting started. Includes all of the best material and most of the guides to help you scale your app in the real world.
Just The Book
The basic option is still great! If you only want to learn the fundamentals, if you're on a budget, you won't regret investing in the core 158 page eBook. The book is delivered instantly in PDF, ePub, and Mobi format.
The VC-Funded Package
It's not cheap, but it includes everything, including a 1-on-1 architecture critque by me. Get all of the guides, talks, config templates... basically everything I've ever written about scaling. It's the best material on the planet for scaling a growing startup.
- How this book came to be
- How this book is designed
- Who should read this book?
- What you need for this book
- What you’ll learn
- Why you need this book
- Rule Numero Uno
Ditching the LAMP Stack
- What’s wrong with LAMP?
- The Scalable Stack
DNS: Why you need to care
- DNS Load Distribution
- DNS Resolution
Load Balancing with HAProxy
- Choosing the best hardware
Automatic failover with
- Tuning linux for a network heavy load
- Issues at scale
App Server: Horizontal Scaling with Nginx and PHP-FPM
- Choosing the right version of PHP
- Nginx and PHP-FPM
- Choosing the best hardware for your application server
- Using a PHP Opcode cache
- Tuning Linux for PHP
- Scaling session handling
Database Server: Ultimate MySQL Tuning Guide
- Getting NoSQL Performance out of MySQL
- Dealing with libmysql’s inability to set timeouts
- Tuning your MySQL Configuration
- Tuning Linux for an intensive database
- Load balancing MySQL Slaves
- Accepting the Master as a SPOF
- Understanding issues with NUMA
- Choosing the best hardware
- Online Schema Changes
- Further Topics
Cache Server: Using Redis
- Choosing between Redis, Memcached, and APC
- Redis Commands
- The importance of Atomic Operations
- Performance Limitations of Redis
- Installing Redis from Dotdeb
- Tuning Redis for Performance
- Scaling Redis to Multiple Servers
- “The Dogpile”
- Russian Doll Caching
- Redis Bitmaps
- Redis Notification Feeds
Worker Server: Asynchronous Resque Workers
- Why use Queues?
- Getting started with Resque and php-resque
- Writing a Resque Job
- Alternatives to Resque
- Things you should put in a queue
Coding and Debugging at Scale
- Scaling your code
- Capistrano for code deployment
- Live Debugging PHP with strace
- Want to upgrade?
- Sending Feedback and Testimonials
- In too deep? Need help ASAP?
- About the Author
- Case Study: Horizontally scaling user uploads
- Case Study: How DNS took down Twitpic down for 4 hours
- Case Study: Scaling MySQL Vertically (10 to 3 MySQL Servers w/ SSDs)
Case Study: Hot MySQL Backups w/ Percona
mysqldumpto Percona XtraBackup
- Moving from
- Case Study: Async APIs w/ Kestrel saved my butt
Case Study: The missing guide to Memcached
- Choosing Memcached over Redis?
- Installing Memcached
- Hooking up PHP to Memcached
- Compression and Serialization
- Server Pools
- Atomic Counters
- Avoiding the Rat Race: CAS Tokens
- Watch out for timeouts
- Using Memcached for Sessions
- Debugging Memcached from Telnet
- My Memcached Setup
- Further Reading and Tools
Case Study: HTTP Caching and the Nginx Fastcgi Cache
- Caching Static Assets
- Caching Proxy
Case Study: CakePHP Framework Caching
- CakePHP, you devilish dessert
- The life and death of a CakePHP request
- If it smells like a race condition…
- Busting the assumptions
- Now what? I’m out of ideas
- The solution(s)
Case Study: Optimizing image handling in PHP
- The naive “PHP Tutorial” way
- ImageMagick vs GraphicsMagick
- Allowing Large File Uploads
- Stripping EXIF Metadata
Case Study: Benchmarking and Load Testing Web Services
- Setting up a Test Environment
Siege, a more modern
- Bees with machine guns
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.