Ruby Web Dev: The Other Way
This book is 75% complete
Last updated on 2016-08-02
About the Book
This guide is born after a question “Could you write a list of all the things, that a good Ruby on Rails developer should know?”. I decided to expand it to the whole of Ruby web development and related “Full Stack” skills (but also limit it to “Web”, as it is not about Ruby in general).
It is inspired by “PHP The Right Way” guide. The format and advises. This guide also contains sections dedicated to very important aspects of web development, explanation (if needed) and the list of tutorial links.
Help is welcome! You can join, proofread the text and propose corrections here https://github.com/iJackUA/rwdtow/.
This is an AWESOME read that will blow your mind if the “Rails Way” was the only thing you knew. It is big article with a lot of references so you don’t need to check out every link in it, but reading the whole article will really help you out.
- Why not “Ruby On Rails” and not “The Right Way”?
- Damaged ecosystem
- You can help here
- My Dream Stack
Ruby on Rails
- Confusing environments
- You don’t need ActiveRecord for every kind of model
- Before filter/action
- HTML helpers. Decorators.
- ActiveJob and business logic
- ROM.rb (Ruby Object Mapper)
- Learn OOP design
- Dependency Injection and IoC containers
- The magical world of Metaprogramming
- Mixin/Module include - it is not composition
- Document your code
- Unit tests
- Test Behavior, not Configuration
- Integration tests
- Test data: Fixtures vs Factories
- Stub external services call
- Speed-up test
- Learn Tests Design
- Authentication & Authorization
- Know your App Server!
- Know your CLI!
- Static content
- Dynamic content
- Nginx page microcache
- Application level key-value cache
- Fulltext search
- Style guide and style checker
- HTML / CSS
- Server-side rendered JS
Deployment and Server
- VPS, Dedicated server
- Local development
- Local tunnels. Exposing dev env in the Internet
- Protect non-production servers with HTTP Auth
- Web Application Security
- Stay open-minded, stay hungry!
- Follow great Ruby developers
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.