This book is 33% complete
Last updated on 2015-03-11
About the Book
In 2008 I self-published a book called Rewild or Die. It was a collection of essays and blogs written by my muse and alter-ego, “Urban Scout”. In this book I explored the philosophy of the emerging rewilding renaissance, in which civilized humans are thought to be “domesticated” through thousands of years of sedentary, agrarian life. This way of life is believed to be the root of all environmental destruction and social injustice. Rewilding is the process of un-doing this domestication, and restoring healthy, biologically diverse communities. Using thoughtful, humorously cynical and at times angry prose, Urban Scout explored how the ideology of civilization clashes with the wild and wild peoples, and how thinking, feeling and most importantly living wild is the only way to reach true sustainability. In the summer of 2011 I went on a West Coast book tour. I decided to discontinue Rewild or Die after feeling that its tone was too harsh and because of that, caused too much hostility.
Rewilding 101 is a massive re-write of Rewild or Die. I'm updating it with more current ideas, taking out Urban Scout’s characteristic harsh tone, and am organizing the pieces from random blog entries into a more cohesive book. I decided to put it up on here as I work on it because it's mostly a re-write and I want to have some of the ideas available. Especially for those who send me e-mails and facebook messages asking if they can get a copy of the Rewild or Die still. No you can't, but now you can read the re-write in progress! Thanks to all the people who have encouraged me along the way. I think you will be very pleased with Rewilding 101. I am so far.
- Copyright © 2008 by Urban Scout LLC
- A Call to Adventure
- Prehistory: Bursting Barney Rubble’s Bubble
- Agriculture: Unsafe With Any Seed
- Empire: An Offer You Can’t Refuse
- Domestication: The Wild Without
- Civilization: A Pyramid Scheme
- Mythology: Glasses for the Mind’s Eye
- Animism: Feeling is Believing
- Inanimism: Gaia is Dead
- Ethics: Writing Our Wrongs
- Rewilding: Seeing Through Ancestral Eyes
- Renaissance: Turning On a Paradigm
- Hypocrisy: Inescapable Contradictions
- Language: Telling Us How to Think
- Modern Myths: Superheroes, Sci-Fi & Video Games
- Horticulture: The Garden of Eatin’
- Location: Wilderness, Country or Urban
- Technology: The Tools of Yesterday, Today, for Tomorrow
- Food: Wheat is Murder
- Education: A Different School of Thought
- Guilt: The Fundamentalists Ambrosia
- Clothes: Pretentious Plumage
- Irony: Humor or Harmful
- Grief: Falling Into the Abyss of Despair
- Denial: Not Just A Toxic River in Egypt
- Optimism: Turning Gloom into Bloom
- Revolution: Power to the Planet
- Politics: Buying into the System
- Bureaucracy: Red Tape
- Engineered Crisis
- Pacifism: A Slave-Masters Delight
- Fundamentalism: The Haters Haven
- Hate Culture: A Haven for Teh Haterz
- Community: Hugs Are Mandatory… Mandatory.
- EPILOGUE: The Rewild Frontier
- Appendix A: Homework
- Appendix B: Further Reading
- Appendix C: How to Run a Rewild Camp
- Appendix D: Activities
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.