Leading better online meetings and workshops
About the Book
How much of this week did you spend in online meetings? How much of that time were you listening to the same old perspectives from the same people? Could you have predicted before the meeting who would talk and who would stay quiet?
Did the conversation race from topic to topic without reaching decisions or actions?
Did you watch as people began to multitask, their faces flashing different colors as they worked in email or Slack with Zoom in the background?
Did you sense that the smart, quiet ones were staying quiet because they couldn’t find a way to break in before time was up?
Do you wish your group could just somehow make a decision?
Do you feel like that potential for real collaboration is sitting right below the surface?
For leaders of teams who meet online, this book introduces online facilitation skills. Unlike other facilitation books, we do not assume remote or in-person work is better but rather accept the reality of both.
- Why we need online facilitators, even when many are returning to the office
- How to improve your weekly team meetings and decision meetings
- Why we hate structured work, and why we need it
- How to design remote workshops
- Why deep collaboration is harder online
- How facilitation changes online compared to in a room
- How to manage the online 'space' using everyday or specialized software.
- How to handle mixed / hybrid workshops
- Power moves for remote facilitators
If you're new to facilitation, this book will get you started. If you're a seasoned 'in the room' facilitator, this book will give you a framework to approach online work that's less fatiguing and brings better results.
Team Edition (5 copies)
Does your company have a meeting problem? Buy 5 copies at a discount to distribute to your colleagues.
- 1.On learning to facilitate
- 3.Why we need online facilitation
- 4.Why online meetings are so much worse
- 5.How to help in a bad meeting
- 6.Simple Decision Meeting
- 7.Facilitation Toolbox 1
- 8.Weekly Team Meeting
- 9.Facilitation Toolbox 2
- 10.Why we resist meeting structure
- 11.Why ‘design’ collaboration?
- 12.Purpose, Outcomes, and Outputs
- 13.Questions drive the agenda
- 14.Planning for time
- 15.Increasing ideas and perspectives
- 16.Psychological safety, and how to increase it
- 17.Breakout groups
- 18.Building the online room
- 19.Templates for breakouts
- 20.Selecting options and finding agreement
- 21.Checking for commitment
- 22.Review: Designing workshops
- 23.Example Workshop Agendas
- 24.Why deep collaboration is harder online
- 25.Energy and Momentum
- 26.Preparing yourself and attendees
- 27.Script the critical moves
- 28.Start the collaboration before the meeting
- 29.Opening online
- 30.Checkins, early engagement, emotional discharge
- 31.Managing the screen
- 33.Hybrid workshops
- 34.Emergency Procedures
- 35.Closing moves
- 36.Your action plan
- 37.Feedback on this book
- 38.Remaining questions about online facilitation
- 39.Appreciations and Acknowledgements
The Leanpub 60 Day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
Now, this is technically risky for us, since you'll have the book or course files either way. But we're so confident in our products and services, and in our authors and readers, that we're happy to offer a full money back guarantee for everything we sell.
You can only find out how good something is by trying it, and because of our 100% money back guarantee there's literally no risk to do so!
So, there's no reason not to click the Add to Cart button, is there?
See full terms...
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.