React from Scratch
React from Scratch
A friendly guide for absolute beginners
About the Book
This book is my answer to the question: how to teach React to a complete beginner, in as little time as possible?
Need to learn the basics quickly? This is your book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 0: Before we start
- 0.1 Disclaimer
- 0.2 Assumptions: Things to have before we start
Chapter 1: Building the simplest possible React app
- 1.0 What is React?
- 1.1 Install React Developer Tools in your Browser
- 1.2 Let’s build the simplest possible React app
- 1.3 Run our default React app and examine it in the browser
- 1.4 Inspecting the app using React Developer Tools
1.5 What happens when we run the
npx create-react-app <appName>?
- 1.6 Understanding our default React app’s folder and file structure
1.7 Inspecting the contents of
- 1.8 Altering the default app
Chapter 2: Serving React from a CDN and running it without a build step
- 2.1 Re-building the simplest app without a build step using Codepen.io
- 2.2 Load another node into another div
2.3 Challenge: Render three more
- 2.4 Adding HTML attributes using React.createElement
- 2.5 What happened to the DOM?
- Some Conclusions
- 2.6 Optimizing our simplest example’s code, the React way: introducing JSX
- 2.7 Exercise: Find at least one interesting React Codepen
- 2.8 Making our simplest app a bit more dynamic, using JSX
- Chapter 3: Build React Apps Locally Without a Build Step
- Chapter 4: What is JSX?
Chapter 5: Components and props
- You must have a single wrapping element when returning JSX
- Props in React
- The list of completed learning objectives
- Is it
Chapter 6: Assets in React
- 6.1 Working with images
- 6.2 Working with JSON
Chapter 7: JSX and styling
- 7.1 How to include CSS in plain HTML?
Chapter 8, Build a Static Bootstrap Layout
- 8.1 Prototyping our website layout’s components
- 8.2 Adding the Bootstrap navbar
- 8.3 Adding Bootstrap’s CSS
- 8.4 Extracting MainMenu component and importing it into App.js
- 8.5 Adding another component (the Jumbotron)
- 8.6 Adding the Card component and repeating it multiple times
- 8.7 Working with the children prop
- 8.8 Using the children prop in the CardsWrapper component
- 8.9 Adding the footer component
Chapter 9: Looping over data (repeating cards)
Bonus: Calling a single prop in the rendered Car component in
- Bonus 2: Cleaning up code using object destructuring
- Bonus: Calling a single prop in the rendered Car component in
Chapter 10: The very basics of data and events in React
- 10.1 Data in React
- 10.2 Working with state data in a React component
- 10.3 Updating the state data in a React component using events
- 10.4 Exercise
Chapter 11: Conditional rendering
- 11.1 Product component example app
- 11.2 Using if-else in a component to render it conditionally
- 11.3 Rendering classNames conditionally using ternary operators
- 11.4 Simplifying rendering classNames conditionally using ternary operators
- 11.5 Conditionally returning a different string than the one passed in from a prop
- 11.6 Conditionally returning a different string than the one passed in from a prop
- 11.7 Conditionally rendering different components
- 11.8 Extracting the return values as variables
- 11.9 Extracting the return values as variables, and rendering them using the ternary operator
11.10 Conditionally rendering components using the logical AND operator (the
Chapter 12: Conclusion
- An overview of concepts learned and apps built
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them