Privacy based learning
Privacy based learning
About the Book
Our explorations, mistakes, and experiment which we make when learning deserve much more privacy than we get online these days. This course puts you back in control of how you learn, teach, and lead online. The guide + workbook approach lets you build your privacy based learning - from first principles, through recommended apps, and on to practical projects.
- Table of Contents
- 1.1. Why does this course matter?
- 1.2. How does this course help me?
- 1.3. What are the components of this course?
- 1.3. A quick word about the privacy tools in this book
2. Here's what's good about privacy
- 2.1. Be safe
- 2.2. Learn the way you want
- 2.3. Own your stuff
- 2.4. Pay less (money, attention, information)
- 2.5. Workbook scenario 1: me and my privacy values
3. Busting online privacy myths
- 3.0. Introduction to privacy myth busting
- 3.1. "I have nothing to hide."
- 3.2. "I'm sure I'm all right, I use (an antivirus / a firewall / a good password)."
- 3.3. "That's some complex, geeky stuff. I want something that's easy to use."
- 3.4. "This isn't legal, is it? I mean, Dark Web..."
- 3.5. "OK, all right...but these things just weren't made for learning."
- 3.6. Workbook scenario: changing your mind (or not) about privacy
4. Your private learning...sandwich
- 4.1. Choices, layers, and synergies
- 4.2. Change, one flavour at a time
- 4.3. Changing one thing is better than no change at all
- 4.4. Improvements lead to improvements
- 4.5. "I bet I could do this myself."
- 4.6. Workbook scenario: customize your privacy sandwich
5. Privacy in office apps: Cryptpad
- 5.1. What is Cryptpad?
- 5.2. What is good about Cryptpad?
- 5.3. What might you not like about Cryptpad?
- 5.4. Cryptpad for learners
- 5.5. Cryptpad for teachers
- 5.6. Cryptpad for managers
- 5.7. Workbook scenario: Learning with Cryptpad
6. Privacy in groups and messaging: Signal
- 6.1. What is Signal?
- 6.2. What is good about Signal?
- 6.3. What might you not like about Signal?
- 6.4. Signal for learners
- 6.5. Signal for teachers
- 6.6. Signal for managers
- 6.7. Workbook scenario: setting up a Signal homework group
7. Privacy when meeting online: Jitsi
- 7.1. What is Jitsi?
- 7.2. What is good about Jitsi?
- 7.3. What might you not like about Jitsi?
- 7.4. Jitsi for learners
- 7.5. Jitsi for teachers
- 7.6. Jitsi for managers
- 7.7. Workbook scenario: get your friends / family on a Jitsi call
8. Privacy in internet browsing: Tor Browser
- 8.1. What is Tor Browser?
- 8.2. What is good about Tor Browser?
- 8.3. What might you not like about Tor Browser?
- 8.4. Tor for learners
- 8.5. Tor for teachers
- 8.6. Tor for managers
- 8.7. Workbook scenario: using Tor to do your homework
9 Privacy in website development: Neocities
- 9.1. What is Neocities?
- 9.2. What is good about Neocities?
- 9.3. What might you not like about Neocities?
- 9.4. Neocities for learners
- 9.5. Neocities for teachers
- 9.6. Neocities for managers
- 9.7. Workbook scenario: build a website!
10. Privacy in handling data: open file formats
- 10.1. What are open file formats?
- 10.2. What is good about open file formats?
- 10.3. What might you not like about open file formats?
- 10.4. Open file formats for learners
- 10.5. Open file formats for teachers
- 10.6. Open file formats for managers
- 10.7. Workbook scenario: non-open file hunt
- 11.1. Thank you for this journey!
- 11.2. Lifelong privacy learning - ten key questions
- 11.3. Additional resources
- 11.4. Acknowledgments and thank yous
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.