Principles and Practices of Software Craftsmanship
Last updated on 2014-11-21
About the Book
- Making unnecessary compromises between speed of delivery and quality?
- Being driven down to the lowest common denominator?
- Being forced to use the wrong tools for the job time and again?
- Seeing projects fail for entirely avoidable reasons?
- Having to justify doing things the right way?
- Defending the value of taking time to reduce technical debt?
- Seeing your team deliver code you’re embarrassed by, and feeling like you are the only one that cares?
- Find out about no-compromise software development, where fast and good aren’t at odds anymore?
- Learn how to make the value of quality software clear in direct business terms?
- Discover how to deliver estimates and advice that your clients will trust and value?
- See how to keep your cool, maintain your independence, and take responsibility for your projects?
- Take charge of your career and bring the passion and drive back into development for your whole team!
- Get the perspective of thirty years in the industry now?
“Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity, but improve man and you gain a thousandfold.” – Khan Noonien Singh
- The Way
- The Journey
- The Map
What is Craftsmanship?
- Is there even such a thing as software craftsmanship?
- Is Software Craftsmanship a Good Thing?
- People, Not Software
- No Compromises
- What Software Craftsmanship is not
- Why Software Craftsmanship?
- Manifesto for Software Craftsmanship
- The Agile Manifesto
- Who are Software Craftsmen?
- The Habitat of the Software Craftsman
- Where the Buck Stops
- Holistic Responsibility
- Never Blocked
- When Things go Wrong
- It’s Never SEP
- Steer your own Course
- Practice: Measuring
- Practice: Testing
- Solving the Right Problem
- Practice: Automation
- Practice: Shipping
- Practice: Communicating
- The Drive
- Having Fun
- The Hard Part
- Practice: Modularity
- Don’t be indispensable
- Avoid lock-in
- Re-inventing yourself
- Don’t get Blocked
- Oil and Water
- Practice: Anticipating
- Practice: Continuous Integration
- Practice: Domain-Driven Design
- Market Awareness
- Practice: Community Building
- Practice: Team-Building
- Practice: Demonstrating
- Practice: Agility
- Empty the Cup
- A Different Level of Thinking
- It’s not all Nails
- The Other Guys Shoes
- Not Locking In too Early
- Technical Debt Accumulation
- Team Pace
Principle: Constant Improvement
- Practice: Learning
- Practice: Practicing
- Practice: Reading
- Practice: Writing
- Practice: Researching
- Tales from the Bilge
- You’ve got to want it
- Practice: Managing Technical Debt
- Practice: Managing Dependencies
- Principle: Curiosity
- Many kinds of Concurrency
- Principle: Breadth
- Practice: Developing
- Principle: Freedom
- Principle: Humility
- Principle: Confidence
- Principle: Respect
- Principle: Decisiveness
- Principle: Professionalism
- Before Design
- Before Code
- Principle: Patience
- Principle: Historical Perspective
- Principle: Leadership
- Practice: Mentoring
- Practice: Teaching
- Practice: Salesmanship
- Hiring and Keeping Craftsmen
Electronic Frontier Foundation
Defending your civil liberties in a digital world.https://www.eff.org/
Based in San Francisco, EFF is a donor-supported membership organization working to protect fundamental rights regardless of technology.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.