About the Book
Congratulations! If you just found out that you’re pregnant, you’re probably overwhelmed by all there is to suddenly read, learn, and figure out. There are wayyyy too many books to read on pregnancy and parenting—and the challenge is that when you’re pregnant, you have no time and what feels like negative amounts of energy. Where should you start, and what should you read? And why does it seem like each book is a massive textbook that you need to inhale and learn ASAP?
Well, good news: you've got a book nerd in your corner. I love geeking out, reading books, and taking notes on them. If you’re a busy parent, or newly pregnant, I’ve written out short summaries of my favorite books with key highlights and takeaways, so you can read over my shoulder. Rather than reading thirty or forty parenting books, you can just start by reading this one book. I know how busy you are and how much is on your plate. I’ve been there. This book is for you. This book is short—less than half the length of a normal book—and designed to be a quick read, and easy to skim.
Inside this book, you'll get:
- Our clear point of view on how we approach pregnancy and parenting, and why we need LOTS of styles, not one dogmatic paradigm.
- 50+ book summaries and snippets and our high-level approach to analyzing which book is for you (and which to skip).
- Helpful tips on how to pick your parenting philosophy (and why it may evolve over time).
- The four major things you need to know for the first year with your baby, and how to think about each one.
- The books that helped me the most in getting it together and going back to work.
- Bonus book lists for memoirs and novels that will make you laugh when sh*t is crazy hard and you just need a chuckle (otherwise you'll go insane).
This book is great for you if you're starting out on your pregnancy journey, if you feel stressed and overwhelmed, if you wish you had someone to give you a summary of all the books, or if you're a spouse/co-parent/grandparent that wants to catch up on all the books and feel more informed without spinning down a reading list of 60+ books that you don't have time to read.
About the Author
Sarah K Peck is a writer, startup advisor, and yoga teacher based in New York City. She’s the founder and executive director of Startup Pregnant, a media company telling stories about women in leadership across both work and family. She is the host of the weekly Startup Pregnant podcast, a show that does in-depth interviews with female founders and entrepreneurs. Previously, she worked at Y Combinator backed One Month, Inc, a company that teaches people to code in 30 days, and prior, as a writing and communications consultant. She’s a 20-time All-American swimmer who successfully swam the Escape from Alcatraz nine separate times, once wearing only a swim cap and goggles to raise $33k for charity: water. To date, she’s written for more than 75 different web publications and and has delivered speeches and workshops at Penn, UVA, Berkeley, Harvard, Year of the X, Craft & Commerce, WDS, and more. One recent viral essay, The Art of Asking, has been used across tech companies and product teams to train teams in clear communications. She’s currently writing a memoir of her experience working in the tech startup world while she was pregnant with her first kid.