Practical Introduction to Wardley Mapping
Practical Introduction to Wardley Mapping
A step-by-step guide to creating and using Wardley Maps
About the Book
Business strategy has a well-deserved reputation for snake-oil, faddish ideas and un-actionable ideas, often handed down from large-scale enterprise change programmes designed by management consultants. The "Wardley mapping" technique is a simple way to describe the environment in which a business operates, from the fixed perspective of customer. Simple maps allow teams to talk about business strategy and tactics in powerful ways, enabling businesses to achieve their strategic goals and respond appropriately to changes in the market.
Whether you've heard about Wardley mapping or not, have previously tried it without success, or are simply interested in developing your strategic/analytical business skills further, this book will lead you through the process of developing these maps using a few simple tools. No matter your current level of experience, this book will enable you to:
- critically analyse the needs of your users - using a concrete three-step process, you will be able to draw maps which represent your current environment
- assess the extent to which the general marketplace meets the needs of the users
- develop "situational awareness" about the opportunites available to your business, and the threats to it
- spread these skills internally to raise the level of awareness throughout your teams
At each step, the book draws on specific practical examples to demonstrate the methods discussed, and through a series of case studies enables you to practice the methods before moving on. This book is aimed at CEO/COOs and "C-suite" colleagues, but will suit people at any level in a business (in fact, having whole-organization understanding of maps is crucial) and will be specifically valuable to those new to management and seeking to make an impact.
- Types of map
- What makes a map?
What is Strategy?
- A car journey
- Common strategies in business
Understanding user needs
- Tool: the Mind Map
- Tool: the Customer Journey chart
- Getting to the heart of motivation
- Tool: User Need Mind Map
- Using the user needs mind map
Make-up of a Wardley Map
- The Axes
- Anchor: the User
- Components: the Needs
Our First Map
- Identifying & placing components
- Exercise: Car wash example
Focus on evolution
- Biological evolution applied to products
- Evolution means change
- Market forces
Where should my product be?
- Case Study: HomeChoice vs. Netflix
- A simple question of timing
- Industrialisation as a future platform
Relating the Map to Strategy: Change and Time
- Fallacy of “first mover advantage”
- The currents of a Wardley Map
- How most people fail at mapping
- Succeeding with maps: repetition
- Succeeding with maps: communication
- Where are we going?
- The first question: Where?
- The next question: Do what?
- Predicting the changes in the future
- Strategies that mapping will not help
- Final words on strategy
Appendix A: Workshops
- Workshop A: Reading maps
- Workshop B: Drawing maps
- Appendix B: Useful Resources
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.