Practical Approach to Mobile application Testing
Last updated on 2013-12-09
About the Book
Who this Book is for?
When discussing with many of our testers found that they need a holistic view on what is Mobile applications and how to approach Mobile application testing.
There are plenty of materials available in the web but all are scattered and does not provide a holistic view of the Mobile application testing and how to approach from testers perspective.
Also when we look at the Mobile App testing ecosystem they are quite different from a typical web / windows application ecosystem. Testers need a introduction to these eco-system to understand clearly how to approach the Mobile app testing.
When i understood these problems though of solving them using a book that should be handy to testers who are trying to move from typical Web / Windows application testing to Mobile world. with this goal this book is born :) not just to introduce them theoretically but also provide a practical approach to testing Mobile apps.
What this book will cover?
This book is born to help the testers to get answer to many of their haunting questions specially on Mobile App testing:
- Introduce testers about what is Mobile application. (Specially focussed on IOS and Android).
- How Mobile App eco-system is different from Web / windows based application.
- Introduce them to approaches to test the Mobile Applications.
- Along with Theory I am trying to cover the practical approach to perform the Mobile App testing from basics:
- How to setup environment for IOS and Android Testing.
- How to setup the Mobile App eco-system: i.e: App certificates, App deployment/distribution to Mobile etc.
- How to execute Manual testing for IOS and Android.
- How to perform Automation testing on IOS and Android Apps.
- How to execute Performance testing on IOS and Android Apps. - What needs to be taken cared from User experience testing IOS and Android Apps.
- How to approach the security testing Mobile IOS and Android applications.
Part of the practical approach i am also covering the following tools part of this book start from setting up the environment till creating and executing the test cases.
- IOS Instruments Automation
- Monkey Talk
- Instrument performance Testing services
- iPhone Configuration Utility
- Crome / Exclips Plugin for User Agent switcher
and Introducing SeeTest and Perfecto Mobile tools.
There are various other tools which are available in the market / comming up with various maturity level.
I will plan to cover these tools may be on my next book. For your reference i have given some of the tools below:
(This is not a finite list will add more tools as on when i come across them :)
- Egg Plant
- Selium for Mobile
- Keynote DeviceAnywhere
- Perfecto Mobile
- SeeTest cloud
- TestQuest Countdown
- Test Quest Pro
- IBM® Rational® Performance Tester (RPT)
- 3P Mobile
Enjoy the Book :)
1 Mobile App Eco System
- 1.1 Understanding SmartPhone OS
- 1.2 IOS - introduction
- 1.3 Android - Introduction
- 1.4 Mobile Applications - Introduction
- 1.5 Mobile App and their Lifecycle
- 1.6 Different Types of Mobile Applications.
- 2 Mobile App Testing Primer
- 3 User Experience Testing Mobile App
- 4 Automation Testing tool primer
- 5 Distributing Mobile Apps
- 6 IOS App Testing Deep Dive
- 7 IOS Application Testing using Simulator
- 8 Automation Testing IOS Apps using Instruments
- 9 Instruments Basics:
10 Automation Testing IOS Apps using Monkey Talk
- 10.1 MonkeyTalk Introduction
- 10.2 MonkeyTalk IDE
- 11 Performance Testing IOS Apps
- 12 Android App Testing Deep Dive
- 13 Android App Testing using Emulator
- 14 Automation Testing Android apps using Robotium
- 15 Automation Testing Android apps using Monkey Talk
- 16 Performance Testing Android Apps’
- 17 Security Testing Mobile Apps a Primer
- 18 IOS Apps Security Testing
- 19 Android Apps Security Testing
- 20 Cloud Based Automation Testing
- 21 Mobile Web App testing
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.