Photos: A Take Control Crash Course
Last updated on 2016-10-06
About the Book
Take control of your photo collection in Photos for macOS Sierra and iOS 10!
Make the most of Apple’s Photos app in macOS Sierra and iOS 10, and on an Apple TV! This book by Jason Snell, publisher of Six Colors and former lead editor at Macworld, explains Photos’ new machine-learning features, like Categories and Memories. It also teaches you how to extend your Photos experience across all your Apple devices—take a photo on your iPhone, put it in an album on your iPad, edit it on your Mac’s large screen, and show it off via your Apple TV!
Jason walks you through the Photos interface and describes how you can organize your images, both with Apple’s automatic albums, categories, and Memories, and with your own keywords, albums, and smart albums.
You’ll learn how to make standard edits like cropping and removing red-eye along with more sophisticated improvements via the powerful Adjustments panel. If you want to go further, Jason explains how how to add third-party editing extensions. For those who are feeling crafty, there’s a chapter about using Photos to create your own books, cards, and calendars.
The book also provides invaluable advice on using iCloud Photo Library, sharing your photos via social media, and working with or merging multiple libraries.
For those new to Photos, Jason covers what to expect from Photos in comparison to Apple’s older iPhoto and Aperture apps, and he guides you through importing your existing libraries.
Jason answers a bunch of burning questions, including:
- What should I expect from Photos when I first start up in Sierra?
- How do I use the new Places album?
- What can I do with the new Categories feature?
- How do keywords and Categories interact?
- How can I customize a Memory video?
- How do I match people to faces?
- What if I want to remove a photo from a Memory?
- What’s important about the System Photo Library?
- If I delete a photo while running iCloud Photo Library, how deleted is it?
You’ll find directions for editing photos, including help with:
- Using basic editing controls, like rotation and crop
- Taking advantage of the blue checkmarks on the Adjustments pane
- The utility of each of the special adjustment controls
- Creating a default set of adjustments
- Applying a specific set of adjustments to more than one photo
- Removing a blemish from a face in a photo
- Editing a raw file (instead of the JPEG)
- Using a third-party photo-editing extension
The book also provides advice about:
- Why the search field is so important in Photos
- Sorting your albums and sorting photos within albums
- Applying location information (geotags)
- Working with keywords, and using the heart-icon Favorite button
- Setting up albums and smart albums
- Sharing an album online via iCloud Photo Sharing
- Configuring the Ken Burns effect in a slideshow
- Exporting a slideshow as a video file
- Using Apple’s print service for printing photos
- Editing a photo while working in a book, card, or calendar
This book is published on Leanpub by Take Control Books
With its Take Control series of ebooks, alt concepts inc. covers a wide range of technology topics, with a special emphasis on Apple products and services. Our catalog comprises over 100 titles, and we’ve sold hundreds of thousands of ebooks in the process of providing expert advice and technical know-how to tens of thousands of readers around the world. Join us today!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms