Data and Text Analytics for Human Resources
About the Book
We have more information at our disposal about tastes, opinions, and certain behaviors that could be very useful in making decisions about performance, salaries, turnover rate, leaves of absence, etc.
Accordingly, People Analytics processes that information through analysis tools that allow you to look at talent management decisions in a new way. People Analytics is based on data analysis as opposed to traditional methods of relationships or personal experiences.
I have worked in the area of analytics and data for quite a few years. Lately I've been specializing in data for use in Human Resources departments. I have spent a lot of time doing consulting work and training others. Now, I also direct People Analytics Pro (http://www.peopleanalyticspro.com), where we host a 140-hour Master's program that teaches HR professionals to use data and analytics tools to make informed decisions that improve employee management in an organization. In other words, we help prepare HR analysts.
This book was born from this experience. I intend to give a practical tour of the most important points that are taught in the People Analytics Pro Master's program. In fact, this book is conceived of as a practical guide for how to put into place what I previously only talked about.
People Analytics offers a unique opportunity for human capital professionals to position themselves as strategic senior management partners, using analytically proven techniques to hire and retain employees who drive higher value in companies.
- Jose Gonzalez: People Analytics the easy way
Burn After Reading!
- More about People Analytics
- Is This Book for Me?
- Structured and Unstructured Data
- What Will You Find in This Book?
- Table of Instructions
- Without further ado, I want you to know more about me and my flaws.
- Vampirizing Data Coaching
- It's a fun book that you can learn from.
- Illustrations by Marisa Echarri
I. An Introduction to People Analytics
01. What Is People Analytics About?
- 1. About Moneyball
- 2. The Most Valuable Asset is Also the Most Expensive.
- 3. Tomayto, Tomahto
- 4. Big Data for Human Resources
- 5. The Path to Transformation
- Recommended Reading
02. People Analytics: Why and How
- 1. If You Could Only Ask One Question
- 2. Result Indicators and Causal Indicators, Happiness and Profit
- 3. Methodology
03. Big Data and People Analytics
- 1. The Great Confusion
- 2. Big Data and Privacy: A Practical Rule to Govern Ethics
- 01. What Is People Analytics About?
II. Statistics, Errors, and Biases
04. Intuition vs. Data Analysis
- 1. The Power of Intuition
- 2. The Synthesis Between Intuition and Data
- Recommended Reading
05. Defense Against the Dark Arts: Don’t Be Fooled by Data
- 1. Correlation Does Not Imply Causality.
- 2. Simpson's Paradox and Causality
- 3. So, How is Causation Demonstrated?
- 4. Too Small of a Sample: the Law of Small Numbers
- 5. A Sensible Guide to Cleaning Data
- 04. Intuition vs. Data Analysis
III. Strategy and Economics
06. Building a Business Case for Human Resources
- 1. What is a Business Case?
- 2. The Business Case as a Trip
07. Taking the Right Measurements
- 1. The Most Frequently Used Metrics in People Analytics
- 2. Calculating Turnover Costs Is a Must.
- 3. Epilogue. Turnover Cost in The Apartment (Billy Wilder 1960)
08. Lifetime Value, the Gold Standard
- 1. The ELTV Should Be a Key Metric in All Organizations. Why?
- Recommended Reading
09. Employee Experience, Engagement, and the Bottom Line
- 1. What Do I Mean by "Engagement?"
- 2. The eNPS, Measuring Company Happiness
10. Performance and Compensations
- 1. If you Can't Measure It…
- 2. Subjective performance measurement
- 3. Objective performance measurement
- 5. Compensation and performance
- 06. Building a Business Case for Human Resources
IV. Learning to Work with Real Cases of People Analytics
11. Clear and Simple Algorithms for People Management
- 1. Responsible Decision-Making
- 2. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
- 3. How Can You Predict the Consequences?
- 4. Good and Bad Algorithms
12. Surveys and the Lingering Doubters
- 1. Theory of Measurement
- 2. There are many of us
- 3. How to Get More Valid Data
13. Segmentations: Divide and Conquer
- 1. Marketing Saw It First
- 2. Monty Python's Life of Brian: "You Are All Different"
- 3. Recency, Frequency, and Monetary Value
14. Predictive Selection
- 1. Eternal Return
- 2. Google and Selection
- 3. Daniel Kahneman: An Algorithm or at Least a Structured Interview
- 5. Let's go back to Google. How many interviews are needed to hire a "Googler?" The rule of 4.
- 6. The Best Candidates from a Turnover Perspective). Predictive Turnover Analysis
- Recommended Reading
- 1. Data about Retention and Turnover
- 2. Let's Clear Up Some Previous Concepts
- 3. Analyzing information you don't see: Abraham Wald and the Lancaster bombers
- 5. Predictive Model for Talent Flight
- 11. Clear and Simple Algorithms for People Management
V. Text Analytics for Human Resources
16. Open-Text Analytics and the Voice of the Employee
- 1. Data Sources
- 2. Memento
- 3. Why do you need open-ended survey questions?
- 4. Text Analytics: Value as a Wedding Cake
- 5. How to Incorporate Text Analytics into the Voice of the Employee
- 16. Open-Text Analytics and the Voice of the Employee
- Annex. Basic Bibliography on People Analytics
Right the Wronghttp://www.oxfamamerica.org
Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. We save lives, develop long-term solutions to poverty, and campaign for social change. As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Algebra-Driven DesignSandy Maguire
A how-to field guide on building leak-free abstractions and algebraically designing real-world applications.
Production HaskellMatt Parsons
Are you excited about Haskell, but don't know where to begin? Are you thrilled by the technical advantages, but worried about the unknown pitfalls? This book has you covered.
Machine Learning EngineeringAndriy Burkov
"If you intend to use machine learning to solve business problems at scale, I'm delighted you got your hands on this book."
—Cassie Kozyrkov, Chief Decision Scientist at Google
"Foundational work about the reality of building machine learning models in production."
—Karolis Urbonas, Head of Machine Learning and Science at Amazon
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
While most enterprises are moving to the cloud these days, many initiatives are driven by wishes or promises rather than a sound strategy. Harvested from half a decade of cloud migrations, this book shares frameworks, strategies, and anecdotes for a structured and decision-centric path to cloud success.
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
The Node.js Bundle
3 BooksThis bundle combines three bestselling Leanpub Node.js books into a package that gives you everything you need to get started with developing Node.js applications at an unbeatable price.
The Tester's Library
8 BooksThe Tester's Library consists of eight five-star books that every software tester should read and re-read. As bound books, this collection would cost over $200. Even as e-books, their price would exceed $80, but in this bundle, their cost is only $49.99. Here are the books, and why they should be in your library: Perfect Software and Other...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...