Data and Text Analytics for Human Resources
About the Book
We have more information at our disposal about tastes, opinions, and certain behaviors that could be very useful in making decisions about performance, salaries, turnover rate, leaves of absence, etc.
Accordingly, People Analytics processes that information through analysis tools that allow you to look at talent management decisions in a new way. People Analytics is based on data analysis as opposed to traditional methods of relationships or personal experiences.
I have worked in the area of analytics and data for quite a few years. Lately I've been specializing in data for use in Human Resources departments. I have spent a lot of time doing consulting work and training others. Now, I also direct People Analytics Pro (http://www.peopleanalyticspro.com), where we host a 140-hour Master's program that teaches HR professionals to use data and analytics tools to make informed decisions that improve employee management in an organization. In other words, we help prepare HR analysts.
This book was born from this experience. I intend to give a practical tour of the most important points that are taught in the People Analytics Pro Master's program. In fact, this book is conceived of as a practical guide for how to put into place what I previously only talked about.
People Analytics offers a unique opportunity for human capital professionals to position themselves as strategic senior management partners, using analytically proven techniques to hire and retain employees who drive higher value in companies.
- Jose Gonzalez: People Analytics the easy way
Burn After Reading!
- More about People Analytics
- Is This Book for Me?
- Structured and Unstructured Data
- What Will You Find in This Book?
- Table of Instructions
- Without further ado, I want you to know more about me and my flaws.
- Vampirizing Data Coaching
- It's a fun book that you can learn from.
- Illustrations by Marisa Echarri
I. An Introduction to People Analytics
01. What Is People Analytics About?
- 1. About Moneyball
- 2. The Most Valuable Asset is Also the Most Expensive.
- 3. Tomayto, Tomahto
- 4. Big Data for Human Resources
- 5. The Path to Transformation
- Recommended Reading
02. People Analytics: Why and How
- 1. If You Could Only Ask One Question
- 2. Result Indicators and Causal Indicators, Happiness and Profit
- 3. Methodology
03. Big Data and People Analytics
- 1. The Great Confusion
- 2. Big Data and Privacy: A Practical Rule to Govern Ethics
- 01. What Is People Analytics About?
II. Statistics, Errors, and Biases
04. Intuition vs. Data Analysis
- 1. The Power of Intuition
- 2. The Synthesis Between Intuition and Data
- Recommended Reading
05. Defense Against the Dark Arts: Don’t Be Fooled by Data
- 1. Correlation Does Not Imply Causality.
- 2. Simpson's Paradox and Causality
- 3. So, How is Causation Demonstrated?
- 4. Too Small of a Sample: the Law of Small Numbers
- 5. A Sensible Guide to Cleaning Data
- 04. Intuition vs. Data Analysis
III. Strategy and Economics
06. Building a Business Case for Human Resources
- 1. What is a Business Case?
- 2. The Business Case as a Trip
07. Taking the Right Measurements
- 1. The Most Frequently Used Metrics in People Analytics
- 2. Calculating Turnover Costs Is a Must.
- 3. Epilogue. Turnover Cost in The Apartment (Billy Wilder 1960)
08. Lifetime Value, the Gold Standard
- 1. The ELTV Should Be a Key Metric in All Organizations. Why?
- Recommended Reading
09. Employee Experience, Engagement, and the Bottom Line
- 1. What Do I Mean by "Engagement?"
- 2. The eNPS, Measuring Company Happiness
10. Performance and Compensations
- 1. If you Can't Measure It…
- 2. Subjective performance measurement
- 3. Objective performance measurement
- 5. Compensation and performance
- 06. Building a Business Case for Human Resources
IV. Learning to Work with Real Cases of People Analytics
11. Clear and Simple Algorithms for People Management
- 1. Responsible Decision-Making
- 2. The Sorcerer's Apprentice
- 3. How Can You Predict the Consequences?
- 4. Good and Bad Algorithms
12. Surveys and the Lingering Doubters
- 1. Theory of Measurement
- 2. There are many of us
- 3. How to Get More Valid Data
13. Segmentations: Divide and Conquer
- 1. Marketing Saw It First
- 2. Monty Python's Life of Brian: "You Are All Different"
- 3. Recency, Frequency, and Monetary Value
14. Predictive Selection
- 1. Eternal Return
- 2. Google and Selection
- 3. Daniel Kahneman: An Algorithm or at Least a Structured Interview
- 5. Let's go back to Google. How many interviews are needed to hire a "Googler?" The rule of 4.
- 6. The Best Candidates from a Turnover Perspective). Predictive Turnover Analysis
- Recommended Reading
- 1. Data about Retention and Turnover
- 2. Let's Clear Up Some Previous Concepts
- 3. Analyzing information you don't see: Abraham Wald and the Lancaster bombers
- 5. Predictive Model for Talent Flight
- 11. Clear and Simple Algorithms for People Management
V. Text Analytics for Human Resources
16. Open-Text Analytics and the Voice of the Employee
- 1. Data Sources
- 2. Memento
- 3. Why do you need open-ended survey questions?
- 4. Text Analytics: Value as a Wedding Cake
- 5. How to Incorporate Text Analytics into the Voice of the Employee
- 16. Open-Text Analytics and the Voice of the Employee
- Annex. Basic Bibliography on People Analytics
Right the Wronghttp://www.oxfamamerica.org
Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. We save lives, develop long-term solutions to poverty, and campaign for social change. As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions.
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...