The npm Book
Last updated on 2013-09-01
About the Book
Note: npm has undergone dramatic changes since this book was released. At this time, I have no plans to update the book to reflect those changes. Check out the official npm docs instead.
Every Node developer relies on npm—the Node Package Manager—yet few fully understand it. Just under the surface, npm is bristling with rich features that make Node development a pleasure. The npm Book aims to be the definitive guide to this ubiquitous utility. Whether you're new to Node or a non-blocking ninja, you'll find some new tips and tricks in here.
- Managing complex dependency trees
- Exploring the npm registry from the command line
- Scripting your project with npm
- Building a private npm registry for your team
- Why this book?
- Stylistic conventions
- A word for Windows users
- Feedback is welcome
- Installing Node and npm
Starting a project with
- Getting to know our package, remotely
- Listing dependencies
- Specifying dependency versions
- Linking a local package for development
- Other dependency types
- Bundling dependencies
- Shrinkwrapping dependencies
- Managing your npm registry account
- Preparing your package for publication
- Adding a README
- Versioning your package
- Adding more information to the registry
Using npm Internally
- Preventing package publication
- Setting up a registry
Scripting with npm
- Script commands
- The script environment
- Script triggers
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.