Nature in Code
Nature in Code
About the Book
If you are interested in learning programming, but find pure programming books, uhm, boring, this book is for you. Instead of just learning dry programming principles, you learn programming by implementing key biological concepts in code so that they run in your browser.
If you know a little (or a lot of) programming already, but want to learn more about the rules that govern life without having to pick up a dry, overpriced academic textbook, this book is for you too. You will learn some key ideas that form the basis of modern biology, from population genetics to evolutionary biology to infectious disease spread.
2. The Genes, They Are a-Changin’
- The Hardy-Weinberg Principle
- What Does Boring Look Like?
3. Genetic Drift: The Power of Chance
- The Randomness of Finite Populations
- Visualizing Drift
- A Mathematical Formulation of Genetic Drift
- Effective Population Size
4. Mutation: The Power of Mistakes
- The Fixation of Mutations
5. Migration: Spatial Models
- Quantifying Inbreeding
6. Natural Selection: The Best Idea Anyone’s Ever Had
- Directional Selection
- Balancing Selection
- Disruptive Selection
7. Epidemics: The Spread of Infectious Diseases
- The SIR Model
- It’s a Small World
8. Cooperation: Good Guys Can Finish First
- Game Theory
- A Game in Code
- Revisiting Object Assignments
- When Defection Outcompetes Cooperation
- Repeated games
- Win-stay, lose-shift
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.