Better Code by Making Bugs
About the Book
Work In Progress
- How To Read This Book
- Who Should Read This Book
- 1. Introduction
2. Basics of Mutation Testing
- 2.1 Source Code and Unit Tests
- 2.2 Mutations, Mutants and Mutators
- 2.3 Killed and Surviving Mutants
- 2.4 Equivalent Mutants
- 2.5 Higher Order Mutations
- 3. A Practical Example
- 4. Does Mutation Testing Work?
5. Relation to Other Testing Techniques
- 5.1 Unit Tests
- 5.2 Test Coverage
- 5.3 Static Code Analysis
- 5.4 Mutation Testing and the TDD Workflow
- 5.5 Fuzz Testing
- 6. History of Mutation Testing
- 7. Mutation Testing Techniques
8. How to Use Mutation Testing
- 8.1 Daily Use for a Developer
- 8.2 Daily Use in a Project
- 8.3 Daily Use for a Tester
- 8.4 Introducing Mutation Testing into a Project
9.1 Comparison Boundary Mutators
- 9.1.1 Greater-than into Greater-than-or-equal-to Mutator
- 9.1.2 Greater-than-or-equal-to into Greater-than Mutator
- 9.1.3 Less-than into Less-than-or-equal-to Mutator
- 9.1.4 Less-than-or-equal-to into Less-than Mutator
9.2 Conditionals Negation Mutators
- 9.2.1 Equal-to into not-equal-to
- 9.2.2 Greater-than into less-than-or-equal-to
- 9.2.3 Greater-than-or-equal-to into less-than
- 9.2.4 Less-than into greater-than-or-equal-to
- 9.2.5 Less-than-or-equal-to into greater-than
- 9.2.6 Not-equal-to into equal
- 9.3 Equality versus Identity Mutators
- 9.4 Remove Conditionals Mutators
9.5 Arithmetic Mutators
- 9.5.1 Addition into subtraction
- 9.5.2 Subtraction into addition
- 9.5.3 Multiplication into division
- 9.5.4 Division into multiplication
- 9.5.5 Remainder into multiplication
- 9.5.6 And into or
- 9.5.7 Or into and
- 9.5.8 Xor into and
- 9.5.9 Bitwise-shift-left into bitwise-shift-right
- 9.5.10 Bitwise-shift-right into bitwise-shift-left
- 9.5.11 Unsigned-bitwise-shift-right into bitwise-shift-left
9.6 Increments Mutators
- 9.6.1 Increment into decrement
- 9.6.2 Decrement into increment
- 9.7 Invert Negatives Mutators
- 9.8 Inline Constant Mutators
- 9.9 Return Values Mutators
9.10 Method Call Mutators
- 9.10.1 Void Method Call Deletion
- 9.10.2 Non-Void Method Call Deletion
- 9.10.3 Constructor Call Deletion
- 9.10.4 Naked Receiver Mutator
- 9.11 Member Variable Mutators
- 9.12 Switch Mutators
- 9.13 Regular Expressions Mutators
- 9.14 Concurrency Mutators
9.15 Interface Mutators
- 9.15.1 Interface Method Deletion
- 9.15.2 Empty Class Method Deletion
- 9.15.3 Method Visibility Reduction
- 9.15.4 Attribute Visibility Reduction
- 9.15.5 Class Visibility Reduction
- 9.15.6 Empty Interface Deletion
- 9.15.7 Empty Class Deletion
9.16 Inheritance Mutators
- 9.16.1 Class Extension Deletion
- 9.16.2 Interface Implementation Deletion
- 9.16.3 Interface Extension Deletion
- 9.1 Comparison Boundary Mutators
- 10.1 Recommended Tools
- 10.2.1 Proteum
- 10.3.1 Visual Mutator
- 10.3.2 NinjaTurtles
- 10.3.3 CREAM
- 10.3.4 Nester
- 10.4.1 PlexTest
- 10.5.1 Mothra
- 10.6.1 Go-mutesting
- 10.6.2 Mutator
- 10.6.3 Manbearpig
- 10.6.4 Golang-mutation-testing
- 10.7.1 MuCheck
- 10.8.1 LittleDarwin
- 10.8.2 Major
- 10.8.3 Jumble
- 10.8.4 µJava
- 10.8.5 PIT
- 10.8.6 Javalanche
- 10.8.7 Simple Jester
- 10.8.8 Jester
- 10.8.9 Mutator
- 10.9.1 Stryker
- 10.9.2 Mutagen
- 10.9.3 Grunt-mutation-testing
- 10.9.4 Mutandis
- 10.9.5 AjaxMutator
- 10.10.1 Devel::Mutator
- 10.11.1 Humbug
- 10.11.2 MutaTesting
- 10.12.1 Cosmic Ray
- 10.12.2 MutPy
- 10.12.3 Elcap
- 10.12.4 PyMuTester
- 10.12.5 Pester
- 10.13.1 Mutiny
- 10.13.2 Mutant
- 10.13.3 Heckle
- 10.13.4 Boo_hiss
- 10.14.1 SMutant
- 10.14.2 MuTalk
- Photo Credits
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Digital Future of Healthcare and Pharma
3 BooksThese three popular e-books from The Medical Futurist describes how digital health technologies will shape the future of health, healthcare, medicine and pharma with exciting infographics in a digestible format.