Multitenancy with Rails
This book is 100% complete
Completed on 2015-01-28
About the Book
The 2nd edition of this book is now available! Buy it here: https://leanpub.com/multi-tenancy-rails-2
This book will teach you super neat tricks about Rails and PostgreSQL while you build a multi-tenanted Ruby on Rails application.
What's a multi-tenanted application? Think of applications like GitHub, where each user or organisation can have their own separate area within the application. Or how about Heroku where each user has their own separate app group. Those are multi-tenanted applications.
In this book we'll be building a multi-tenanted forum application using some seriously good best practices, working with tools and processes like Behaviour-Driven Development, and PostgreSQL schemas. I'll also cover the normal methodology of scoping using foreign keys in a table. That's just the first four chapters.
In the 5th and final chapter, the book covers adding subscriptions to an application using the Braintree gateway. A subscription system is typically tough to get right, but with Braintree it's a breeze. This book will show you how.
1. A Grand Overview
- 1.1 Multitenancy
- 1.2 Software as a Service
- 1.3 The multi-tenant blog application idea
- 1.4 Summary
2. Laying the foundations
- 2.1 Building an engine
- 2.2 Setting up a testing environment
- 2.3 Writing the first feature
- 2.4 Associating accounts with their owners
- 2.5 Adding subdomain support
- 2.6 Building subdomain authentication
- 2.7 Handling user signup
- 2.8 Summary
3. Applying account scoping
- 3.1 Scoping by a database field
- 3.2 Using Postgres
- 3.3 The PostgreSQL Caveat
- 3.4 Scoping by a database field: redux
- 3.5 Summary
4. The blog application
- 4.1 Setting up Blorgh
- 4.2 Testing Subscribem Integration
- 4.3 Testing user sign in
- 4.4 Testing user sign up
- 4.5 Testing Blorgh integration
- 4.6 Summary
- 5.1 Formulating plans
- 5.2 Switching plans
- 5.3 Subscribing with Braintree
- 5.4 Updating Braintree Subscriptions
- 5.5 Summary
6. Account Restrictions
- 6.1 Limiting forum creation
- 6.2 Summary
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...