A Whole Team Approach
About the Book
"All the brilliant minds working together on the same thing, at the same time, in the same space, and at the same computer" - We call it "Mob Programming". With dual projectors, one computer, two keyboards, and a very collaborative approach we use this approach to super-charge our development efforts and deliver high value software quickly.
In this book we share our "Mob Programming" style. We'll cover the techniques we use in our daily work , how we discovered this way of working, the benefits we see from "Mobbing", the problems we've overcome, and how you can incorporate some of our ideas even though you don't have a way to adopt Mob Programming full time.
Help Us Write this Book
- This book is a work in progress
- An Invitation to Help
- Part One: Introduction
1.1 What is Mob Programming?
- How We Started
- Why this Book?
1.2 Set the Stage for Great Things
- It’s About the Environment
- We Work Better when We Work Together.
- The Stage was Set
1.3 A View of the Room
- A little peek at what it looks like
1.4 See for Yourself
- Watch a video of a full day of work in only 3 minutes!
1.5 How Mob Programming was Discovered
- The Driver-Navigator Model
- The Coding Dojo Sessions
- Studying and Practicing Together
- The Next (In)Obvious Steps
- 1.6 Quick Start Guide
- Part Two: The Details
2.1 The Team
- The Mob Programming Team
2.2 The Workspace Setup
- The Area
- The Computer
- Projectors or Monitors
- Chairs and Tables
- Telephone and Email
- Private Work Area
2.3 The Driver-Navigator Model In Depth
- The Navigators and Navigation
- The Driver and Driving
- The Consultation - The Pause for Clarity
- Conflicting Ideas
- An Example
- Rotating the Roles
- A Timer
2.4 Why Would We Work This Way?
- There are Many Benefits from Working as a Mob
- It’s a Trick Question
- The Typical Answers
- The Real Answer: We Work this Way Because the Team Decided to Work this Way
- Provide a Safe Place Where We can Discover Awesomeness
2.5 How Can We Work This Way?
- A Principle to Live By
- It’s the People not the Code
- Our Story
- Kindness, Consideration, and Respect
- Part Three: Productivity
3.1 The Productivity Question
- How Can Five People At One Computer Be Productive?
- Changing the question
- What we found with Mob Programming
- Another way to think about it
3.2 Problems That Faded Away
- It’s The System?
- A Backpacking Trip
- Management Overhead
- Working Well Together
- What’s Coming Up in the Next Chapters
3.3 Problem: Faulty Communications
- Communication problems are pervasive, numerous, and paralyzing.
- Problem: Getting Answers to Questions can take a lot of time.
- Problem: Communication by Email
- Problem: Communication by Documentation
3.4 Problem: Issues with Decision Making
- Decisions are a Good Thing
3.5 Problem: Doing More Than What is Barely Sufficient
- Should We Ever do More than Enough?
- Examples of “Too Much”
- How Mob Programming has Helped
3.6 Problem: Technical Debt
- The Alligator in the Pond
- It Faded Away
- The Many Forms of Technical Debt
3.7 Problem: Thrashing
- Distractions, Context Switching, Interruptions: This is Thrashing
- Thrashing of Programmers
- Who Gets Thrashed?
- Why is Thrashing Harmful?
- How it Faded Away for Us
3.8 Problem: Politics
- Many faces of politics
- It Faded Away
3.9 Problem: Meetings
- “Please sir, I want some more meetings.”
3.10 A Simple Cost Analysis of Mob Programming
- Sensitivity Analysis
- Part Four: A Few Other Things
- 4.1 What is the Ideal Number of Team Members?
4.2 Continuous Learning
- Providing an Environment where Learning is “Amplified”
- Study and Practice Together
- Friday Afternoon Practice
- Mob Programming and Learning
- Our Morning Hour of Learning
- Amplifying Learning
- The Fear of Being Exposed
- Why It Might be Frightening
- What can we do about this?
- Mistakes are Part of the Process
- This is Voluntary
4.4 Ergonomics, Health, and Sanity
- Let’s Take Care of Ourselves
- Projectors, Chairs, Keyboards, and Screens
- Stretching, Talking Walks, Taking Breaks
- Preventing the Spread of Illness
- In Conclusion
4.5 Retrospectives: Reflect, Tune, and Adjust Frequently
- If You Only have Time to get Good at One Thing, Start with Retrospectives
- An Example of a Typical Retrospective
- An Affinity Mapping Example
- Give it a Name
- Here is What We Decided to Try
- A Daily Practice Period
- Another Retrospective, Another Step Forward: The 12 Days of Index
- Things to Notice
- The Takeaway
4.6 Turn Up The Good
- Something that Works Well: Turn Up the Good
- Solving Problems - What’s Wrong with That?
- Turn Up The Good
4.7 Relaxed and Sustainable
- This is Wearing Us Out!
- The Problem
- We Don’t Need to be a Hero
- Take a Break
- Make it Sustainable
4.8 Barriers to Mob Programming
- My Manager Won’t Let Us
- We Don’t Have a Space to Do It
- We Don’t Know How to Get Started
- Our Teams Don’t Even Want to Pair Program
- The Tech Lead Coded While Everyone Watched
- We were Exhausted After a Few Hours
- We aren’t Really Very Agile.
4.9 Remote Mob Programming
- Advantages to Working Remotely
- Can We “Turn Up The Good” on Working Remotely?
- How do we do this?
- Are we Effective when we are Remote?
- Things to Watch Out For
- Exploring and Experimenting
- 4.10 Frequently Asked Questions
4.11 Do We Recommend Mob Programming?
- Everyone Wants to Know: Do You Recommend Mob Programming?
- To Whose Advantage?
- It is Not a Panacea
- If You Decide to Try It
- Part Five: Experience Reports
- 5.1 Teaching Mob Programming
- 5.2 Using Mob Programming as a Training Tool
5.3 Mob Programming for the Introverted
- Observations of Mob Life
- Mobbing as an Introvert
- Change and Growth
- What I Have Learned
- 5.4 Corgibytes Adopts Mob Programming
- 5.5 Sticky Mob Programming
- Appendix 1 - The Agile Manifesto
- Appendix 2 - Twelve Principles of Agile Software
- Help Us Write this Book
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...