Minimum Viable Tests
Minimum Viable Tests
About the Book
You've been doing PHP development for a while but you find yourself constantly battling bugs, finding it hard to integrate bits of code together, and staying late to do deployments. You know there is a better way through test-driven development but you have no idea where to start.
You imagine yourself sitting down with an experienced developer -- just you and them, steadily working through problems and learning how to use test-driven development to design the API's and interfaces for your code while making sure nothing leaves development until you're 100% sure it's working.
In "Minimum Viable Tests" long-time PHP testing evangelist Chris Hartjes starts you off with the basics on the concepts surrounding test-driven development and shows you how a long-time grumpy programmer writes application with testing always in the front of his mind. Along the way you'll learn about:
- Chris' concept of "metatesting"
- The basics of what PHPUnit is and how it works
- The role of tests in the development process
- Effective use of test doubles
- Understanding how to mimic your application's environment via bootstrapping
- Writing wrappers around web API calls to make testing easier
- How fixtures and data providers help simplify your tests both today and tomorrow
- When you should use (and not abuse) monkey-patching tools
- The Arrange-Act-Assert test-writing strategy
- How to refactor existing tests
Chris has been watching and listening to people as they start their journey towards become test-driven developers. "Minimum Viable Tests" is designed to be your guide on the path to having well-tested, confidently-deployed PHP applications.
- Foreword by Phil Sturgeon
- Who Is This Book For?
- Why This Book?
- What Is This Book?
- Special Thanks
- Mature Testing Tools Are Available
- Open Source Drives Acceptance
- Proof Exists to Back the Promises
- Testing Moves Bug Fixing to a Cheaper Part of The Cycle
- Easy-to-use Build Systems Encourage Continuous Deployment
- There Are Awesome Complementary Tools
- How Do We Install PHPUnit?
- What Is PHPUnit?
- The PHPUnit Test Runner
- PHPUnit Test Cases
- What Is a Test?
- Testing FizzBuzz
- Handling Non-Integers
- Testing for Fizz
- Make Buzz Work
- Check That FizzBuzz is Correctly Detected
- Data Providers to Reduce Repetition
- Things to Look out For
Care and Feeding for Your Test Doubles
- Why Do We Need Doubles?
- Identifying Dependencies
Wrapping Is Not Just for Presents
- Wrappers from up High
Fixtures and Data Providers
- When Do I Need Them
- When Should I Use a Data Fixture?
- When Should I Use a Data Provider
- What Is Monkey Patching?
- What Problem Is Monkey Patching Solving in Testing?
- What Scenarios Might Monkey Patching Be Good For?
- Enough Talking, Show Me Some Examples
- New Test Style
- Double Patching for Great Success
- Monkey Patching as a Precision Tool
- Helper methods
- Continuing The Pattern
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.