The No-Nonsense Guide to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
The No-Nonsense Guide to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
About the Book
The No-Nonsense Guide to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act illustrates in plain language how and why you might use FOIA laws to obtain government documents. The guide should be useful for people involved in the political process, as well as for businesses that work or want to work on government contracts. From fixing a broken sidewalk to obtaining a crime report, the Michigan Freedom of Information Act is a versatile tool to ensure that you are not ignored when it is your turn to deal with City Hall.
- About this edition
Chapter 1: A sample FOIA request
- Be nice! Seriously. Be overly nice.
- Who can request records
- Forms and formats
- Who to send your request to
- Which organizations are subject to the Michigan FOIA laws
- Outsourcing and public-private partnerships
- Get it in writing
- Ask for records, not information or data
- The risk of your request being filed as spam
- Formatting your request
- Limiting your costs
- FOIA sample letter
- More sample letters from MuckRock
- FOIA letter generator from the Reporter’s Committe for the Freedom of the Press
- Sample letters at a2docs
Chapter 2: Records available via FOIA requests
- Agendas, board packets, and minutes of meetings
- Bids and contracts
- Budgets and expenditures
- Building inspection records, building permits and assessor’s records
- Contracts between governments and their lobbying organizations
- Dog licenses
- Electronic mail as records
- Fire department records
- Official calendars
- Police records
- Policies and procedures
- Rental information
Chapter 3. Fees, and how to minimize them.
- Avoid FOIA, and ask verbally for information, not records
- Specify a maximum amount you are willing to pay
- Request electronic records
- Ask to inspect records before copying them
- Avoid redaction
- Ask for a fee waiver
- Divide a big request into smaller requests
- Publicize unreasonable fee requests
- Negotiate fees
- Ask for a detailed breakdown of costs
- Ask for documents that have already been released
- Double check the math
Chapter 4: Avoiding FOIA delays
- Avoid FOIA
- Be nice
- Type legibly
- Impress upon the clerk the urgency of your request
- Remind the public body if the request is delayed
- Make a smaller request, rather than a larger one
- Seek records that have already been published
- Ask for specific documents by their distinguished name
- Do not use FOIA as a means of abuse
Chapter 5: FOIA exemptions
- Absentee ballots
- Absurdly overbroad and burdensome requests
- Appraisals of real property 13(1)(j)
- Attorney-client privilege 13(1)(g)
- Bids and proposals 13(1)(i)
- Copyrighted materials
- Deliberative process 13(1)(m)
- Educational records (FERPA)
- Law enforcement communication codes 13(1)(n)
- Law enforcement investigating records 13(1)(b)
- Medical records 13(1)(l)
- Personal privacy 13(1)(a)
- Security exemptions 13(1)(y)
- Test questions 13(1)(k)
- Trade secrets 13(1)(f)
Chapter 6: Appealing your FOIA rejection
- Deadlines for your appeal
- Making an informal appeal in person
- Making your appeal in writing
- Deliberative process: separating exempt from non-exempt materials
- Negotiating personal privacy rejections
- Attorney-client privilege
- Reducing costs
- Dealing with trade secrets
- Asking again instead of appealing
- Appealing at the state level before you go to court
Chapter 7: Rewriting your FOIA request for better success
- Ask again in person
- Reduce the scope of your records request
- Ask for reports, not raw data
- Examine meeting minutes and agendas
- Limit the time span you are looking for
- Learn how to search public records data for free
- Ask public interest groups for assistance
Chapter 8. FOIA Lawsuits
- When to consult an attorney
- Time limits to go to court
- Which court your request can be heard in
- Lawsuits as political statements
Chapter 8x: How to obstruct a FOIA request
- Don’t encourage FOIA requests
- Require signed, notarized proof of identity
- You’ll have to FOIA that
- Exercise all possible delays
- Maximize fees
- Store your records badly
- Use paper liberally
- Take advantage of public-private partnerships
- Deny records liberally
- Avoid punitive damages
Chapter 9. Michigan Open Meetings Act
- Notification requirements
- Meeting locations
- Postings at city hall; the tackboard
- Meeting minutes availability
- Minutes promptly available
- Requesting minutes
- Closed sessions
- Subcommittees and quorums
- Recording meetings
- Getting notified about future meetings
- Special meetings and notification
- Emergency meetings
Chapter 10. Remedies when the Michigan Open Meetings Act fails you
- FOIA requests for missing meeting minutes
- Subscriptions to meeting announcements
- Revoting on meetings held improperly
- Lawsuits when closed sessions are egregious
Appendix A. Resources
- Michigan Freedom of Information Coalition
- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- FOIA Machine
- National Freedom of Information Coalition
- Reporters Committee for the Freedom of the Press
- Student Press Law Center
- Sunshine Week
Appendix B.. Exercises for Sunshine Week
- Make the same request to many organizations at once
- Audit compliance with basic records laws
- Ask multiple agencies for the same record
- Request FOIA log files of other FOI requests
- Repeat the same FOIA request at intervals
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
9 Books-Bundle: Shut Up and Code!
9 Books"Shut up and code." Laughter in the audience. The hacker had just plugged in his notebook and started sharing his screen to present his super-smart Python script. "Shut up and code" The letters written in a white literal coding font on black background was the hackers' home screen background mantra. At the time, I was a first-year computer...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab