About the Book
This is a book about the STM32 family of 32‑bit Flash microcontrollers from ST Microelectronics based on the ARM® Cortex®‑M architecture. The book will guide you in a clear and practical way to this hardware platform and the official ST CubeHAL, showing its functionalities with a lot of examples and tutorials. The book assumes that you are totally new to this family of MCUs, and it will start showing how to setup a complete and totally free software tool-chain to build your STM32 based applications. The installation instructions will allow to setup a complete tool-chain on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
The book is addressed both to professionals and to fans of this platform, like hobbyists and students. The book examples are based on the sixteen Nucleo-64 boards from ST.
This release is composed by twenty-six chapters, divided in about 850 pages. They cover:
- Introduction to Cortex-M and STM32 microcontrollers.
- How to setup a complete and working tool-chain to develop STM32 applications on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
- How to use STM32CubeMX to generate application skeleton, and how to import it inside the tool-chain.
- Introduction to OpenOCD and to the debugging of STM32 applications.
- ARM semihosting.
- GPIO management.
- NVIC controller.
- UART peripheral.
- DMA controller.
- STM32 clock tree and its configuration.
- Basic, general purpose and advanced STM32 timers.
- ADC peripheral.
- DAC controller.
- I2C bus and protocol.
- SPI bus.
- CRC peripheral.
- IWDG and WWDG timers.
- Power management.
- The memory layout of an STM32 application and linker scripts.
- Flash memory management and the role of the ART Accelerator.
- The booting process in STM32 microcontrollers and how to write a custom bootloader.
- FreeRTOS and the tickless low-power mode.
- Advanced debugging techniques and how to use SEGGER tools to debug STM32 MCUs.
- FatFs Middleware.
- How to develop IoT applications with the W5500 Ethernet processor.
- How to design a custom board using an STM32 MCU.
The complete Table of Contents can be downloaded from here.
When finished, the book will also cover these topics:
- RTC clock.
You can reach the author through the book website: http://www.carminenoviello.com/en/mastering-stm32/
The LeanPub platform works so that, once you buy the book, you receive all updates for free.
About the Author
Carmine is a hardware designer and firmware developer living in south of Italy, close to the wonderful Naples. He spends the most of his time as full-time hardware consultant in Bit4id, an Italian company leader in authentication, digital signature and cryptography. As soon manages to find some free time, he likes to treat programming topics on his personal blog.
As you can see, he does not like to talk about himself :-)