Building Enterprise Capability
About the Book
The book provides an overview for a systems view of management. My views are largely based on those of Dr. Deming, along with natural extensions of his ideas such as lean manufacturing and agile software development.
To achieve great results a continuous focus on both achieving results today and building enterprise capability to maximize results over the long term is needed. Managers have many management concepts, practices and tools available to help them in this quest. The challenge is to create and continually build and improve a management system for the enterprise that leads to success. This book helps managers do that.
The book provides a framework for management thinking. With this framework the practices and tools can be applied to build enterprise capacity and amplify positive results.
I am proud that Management Matters is one of eight books listed in the 3rd Edition of The New Economics (published in 2018) as resources for further learning. The other book authors include: W. Edwards Deming, Peter Scholtes, Joyce Orsini, Brian Joiner and Ed Baker.
The book builds on the management ideas found in my Curious Cat Management Improvement blog.
Find interviews of the author including the Business 901 podcast of the year.
Chapter One - Management System
- Management System
- Systems Thinking - Getting a Dog to Wag Its Tail
- Respect People by Creating a Climate for Joy in Work
- The Toyota Way – Two Pillars
- How to Improve
- From Quality Tools to Management Improvement
- Focus on Customers and Employees
- Engage in Improving the Management System
- Encourage Improvement Action by Everyone
- The Importance of Critical Thinking and Challenging Assumptions
- Good Management is Good Management
- Why Use New Management Ideas if So Many Fail To Do So Effectively
- The Purpose of the Organization
- Overpaid Executives
- It Won’t Work Here
Chapter Two - Deming Management System
- Deming Management System
- Respect for People - Understanding Psychology
- Being Destroyed by Best Efforts
- Deming on Innovation
- Create a System That Lets People Take Pride in Their Work
- The aim of leadership is not merely to find and record failures of men
- How to Manage What You Can’t Measure
- The Illusion of Knowledge
Chapter Three - Management Concepts
- Management Concepts
- Going to the Gemba
- Ignoring Unpleasant Truths is Often Encouraged
- Having no Problems is a Problem
- Mistake Proofing
- Continual Learning
- Flaws in Understanding Psychology Lead to Flawed Management
- Data Visualization
- Circle of Influence
- Bad Management Results in Layoffs
- Arbitrary Rules Don’t Work
- Aligning Marketing Vision and Management
- Working with Suppliers
- Root Cause Analysis
Chapter Four - Management Practices
- Management Practices
- Why Do People Fail to Adopt Better Management Methods?
- How to Get a New Management Strategy, Tool or Concept Adopted
- Good Process Improvement Practices
- Good Project Management Practices
- Write it Down
- Making Better Decisions
- Involve IT Staff in Business Process Improvement
- Improving Software Development with Automated Tests
- Firing Workers Isn’t Fixing Problems
- Carve Out Time to Think
- Continual Feeding
- Building on Successful Improvement
- Building Adoption of Management Improvement Ideas in Your Organization
- Job Instructions
Chapter Five - Managing People
- Managing People
- Long Term Thinking with Respect for People
- Eliminate Demotivation
- Build an Environment Where Intrinsic Motivation Flourishes
- Interruptions Can Severely Damage Performance
- Maslow on Dealing with Authoritarians
- Respect People: Trust Them to Use good Judgment
- Many Good Employees Want to Continue to Do Their Current Job Well
- Talent Shortage, or Management Failure?
- Hire People You Can Trust to Do Their Jobs
- Helping Employees Improve
- Do What You Say You Will
- Dee Hock on Hiring
- Practical Ways to Respect People
- Don’t Empower
- Respect for People Doesn’t Mean Avoiding Any Hint of Criticism
- Righter Performance Appraisal
- Don’t Treat People Like You Want to be Treated
Chapter Six - Understanding and Using Data
- Using Data to Improve
- Outcome and In-Process Measures
- The Proxy Nature of Data
- Distort the System
- Data Can’t Lie
- Common and Special Cause Variation
- Bigger Impact: 15 to 18 mpg or 50 to 100 mpg?
- Be Careful What You Measure
- Actionable Metrics
Chapter Seven - Customer Focus
- Customer Focus
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- The Customer is the Purpose of Our Work
- Kano Customer Satisfaction Model
- Delighting Customers
- Customers Are Often Irrational
- Making Life Difficult for Customers
- Customer Un-focus
- Customers Get Dissed and Tell
- Confusing Customer Focus
- Be Thankful for Customers That Are Complaining, They Haven’t Given Up All Hope
Chapter Eight - Management Tools
- Management Tools
- Keys to the Effective Use of the PDSA Improvement Cycle
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- Checklists in Software Development
- Improvement Tools and Improving Management
- Factorial Designed Experiments
Chapter Nine - Ideas for Managers
- Ideas for Managers
- Revealed Preference
- Confirmation Bias
- The Problem is Likely Not the Person Pointing Out The Problem
- Keeping Track of Improvement Opportunities
- Eliminate the Waste of Waiting in Line with Queuing Theory
- Going to the Gemba
- Mistake Proofing Deployment of Software Code
- Errors in Thinking
Chapter Ten - Ideas to Inspire
- Ideas for Inspire
- Positivity and Joy in Work
- Paying New Employees to Quit
- Improving the Recruitment Process
- Respecting People Even If Demand Slows
- How Downsizing is Handled When Management Respects People
- Using Visual Instructions
- Innovative Marketing Podcast
- Google’s Answer to Filling Jobs Is an Algorithm
- Giving Away Your Service for Free on Weekends
- Customer Focus in Internet Travel Search
- Combinatorial Testing
- Build Your Business Slowly and Without Huge Cash Requirements
- Acknowledge Failures, Learn, Improve and Share
- Amazon Innovation
- $60 Million Bonus - For all Staff
- 5 Million Lives Campaign
- Respect for People: Optimize for Developer Happiness at Etsy
Chapter Eleven - appendix and miscellaneous
- Key Management Concepts, Practices and Tools
- All Models Are Wrong But Some Are Useful
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Everyday Rails - RSpecによるRailsテスト入門Junichi Ito (伊藤淳一), AKIMOTO Toshiharu, 魚振江, and Aaron Sumner
RSpecを使ってRailsアプリケーションに信頼性の高いテストを書く実践的なアドバイスを提供します。詳細で丁寧な説明は本書のオリジナルコンテンツです。また、説明には実際に動かせるサンプルアプリケーションも使用します。本書は2017年版にアップデートされ、RSpec 3.6やRails 5.1といった新しい環境に対応しています！さあ、自信をもってテストできるようになりましょう！
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Continuous Delivery PipelinesDave Farley
This practical handbook provides a step-by-step guide for you to get the best continuous delivery pipeline for your software.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
9 Books-Bundle: Shut Up and Code!
9 Books"Shut up and code." Laughter in the audience. The hacker had just plugged in his notebook and started sharing his screen to present his super-smart Python script. "Shut up and code" The letters written in a white literal coding font on black background was the hackers' home screen background mantra. At the time, I was a first-year computer...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab