Building Enterprise Capability
About the Book
The book provides an overview for a systems view of management. My views are largely based on those of Dr. Deming, along with natural extensions of his ideas such as lean manufacturing and agile software development.
To achieve great results a continuous focus on both achieving results today and building enterprise capability to maximize results over the long term is needed. Managers have many management concepts, practices and tools available to help them in this quest. The challenge is to create and continually build and improve a management system for the enterprise that leads to success. This book helps managers do that.
The book provides a framework for management thinking. With this framework the practices and tools can be applied to build enterprise capacity and amplify positive results.
I am proud that Management Matters is one of eight books listed in the 3rd Edition of The New Economics (published in 2018) as resources for further learning. The other book authors include: W. Edwards Deming, Peter Scholtes, Joyce Orsini, Brian Joiner and Ed Baker.
The book builds on the management ideas found in my Curious Cat Management Improvement blog.
Find interviews of the author including the Business 901 podcast of the year.
Chapter One - Management System
- Management System
- Systems Thinking - Getting a Dog to Wag Its Tail
- Respect People by Creating a Climate for Joy in Work
- The Toyota Way – Two Pillars
- How to Improve
- From Quality Tools to Management Improvement
- Focus on Customers and Employees
- Engage in Improving the Management System
- Encourage Improvement Action by Everyone
- The Importance of Critical Thinking and Challenging Assumptions
- Good Management is Good Management
- Why Use New Management Ideas if So Many Fail To Do So Effectively
- The Purpose of the Organization
- Overpaid Executives
- It Won’t Work Here
Chapter Two - Deming Management System
- Deming Management System
- Respect for People - Understanding Psychology
- Being Destroyed by Best Efforts
- Deming on Innovation
- Create a System That Lets People Take Pride in Their Work
- The aim of leadership is not merely to find and record failures of men
- How to Manage What You Can’t Measure
- The Illusion of Knowledge
Chapter Three - Management Concepts
- Management Concepts
- Going to the Gemba
- Ignoring Unpleasant Truths is Often Encouraged
- Having no Problems is a Problem
- Mistake Proofing
- Continual Learning
- Flaws in Understanding Psychology Lead to Flawed Management
- Data Visualization
- Circle of Influence
- Bad Management Results in Layoffs
- Arbitrary Rules Don’t Work
- Aligning Marketing Vision and Management
- Working with Suppliers
- Root Cause Analysis
Chapter Four - Management Practices
- Management Practices
- Why Do People Fail to Adopt Better Management Methods?
- How to Get a New Management Strategy, Tool or Concept Adopted
- Good Process Improvement Practices
- Good Project Management Practices
- Write it Down
- Making Better Decisions
- Involve IT Staff in Business Process Improvement
- Improving Software Development with Automated Tests
- Firing Workers Isn’t Fixing Problems
- Carve Out Time to Think
- Continual Feeding
- Building on Successful Improvement
- Building Adoption of Management Improvement Ideas in Your Organization
- Job Instructions
Chapter Five - Managing People
- Managing People
- Long Term Thinking with Respect for People
- Eliminate Demotivation
- Build an Environment Where Intrinsic Motivation Flourishes
- Interruptions Can Severely Damage Performance
- Maslow on Dealing with Authoritarians
- Respect People: Trust Them to Use good Judgment
- Many Good Employees Want to Continue to Do Their Current Job Well
- Talent Shortage, or Management Failure?
- Hire People You Can Trust to Do Their Jobs
- Helping Employees Improve
- Do What You Say You Will
- Dee Hock on Hiring
- Practical Ways to Respect People
- Don’t Empower
- Respect for People Doesn’t Mean Avoiding Any Hint of Criticism
- Righter Performance Appraisal
- Don’t Treat People Like You Want to be Treated
Chapter Six - Understanding and Using Data
- Using Data to Improve
- Outcome and In-Process Measures
- The Proxy Nature of Data
- Distort the System
- Data Can’t Lie
- Common and Special Cause Variation
- Bigger Impact: 15 to 18 mpg or 50 to 100 mpg?
- Be Careful What You Measure
- Actionable Metrics
Chapter Seven - Customer Focus
- Customer Focus
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- The Customer is the Purpose of Our Work
- Kano Customer Satisfaction Model
- Delighting Customers
- Customers Are Often Irrational
- Making Life Difficult for Customers
- Customer Un-focus
- Customers Get Dissed and Tell
- Confusing Customer Focus
- Be Thankful for Customers That Are Complaining, They Haven’t Given Up All Hope
Chapter Eight - Management Tools
- Management Tools
- Keys to the Effective Use of the PDSA Improvement Cycle
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- Checklists in Software Development
- Improvement Tools and Improving Management
- Factorial Designed Experiments
Chapter Nine - Ideas for Managers
- Ideas for Managers
- Revealed Preference
- Confirmation Bias
- The Problem is Likely Not the Person Pointing Out The Problem
- Keeping Track of Improvement Opportunities
- Eliminate the Waste of Waiting in Line with Queuing Theory
- Going to the Gemba
- Mistake Proofing Deployment of Software Code
- Errors in Thinking
Chapter Ten - Ideas to Inspire
- Ideas for Inspire
- Positivity and Joy in Work
- Paying New Employees to Quit
- Improving the Recruitment Process
- Respecting People Even If Demand Slows
- How Downsizing is Handled When Management Respects People
- Using Visual Instructions
- Innovative Marketing Podcast
- Google’s Answer to Filling Jobs Is an Algorithm
- Giving Away Your Service for Free on Weekends
- Customer Focus in Internet Travel Search
- Combinatorial Testing
- Build Your Business Slowly and Without Huge Cash Requirements
- Acknowledge Failures, Learn, Improve and Share
- Amazon Innovation
- $60 Million Bonus - For all Staff
- 5 Million Lives Campaign
- Respect for People: Optimize for Developer Happiness at Etsy
Chapter Eleven - appendix and miscellaneous
- Key Management Concepts, Practices and Tools
- All Models Are Wrong But Some Are Useful
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
El Manual del ManagerKeyvan Akbary, Félix López, and Álvaro Salazar
¿Has deseado alguna vez el haber tenido una buena introducción al rol del Engineering Manager? En este libro aprenderás lo necesario para ejercer el rol de una manera efectiva: Expectativas y Responsabilidades del Rol, 1-1s, Ayudar a Crecer, Objetivos, Planes de Carrera, Cultura, Feedback, Contratación, Cultura de Producto y mucho más.
Ansible for KubernetesJeff Geerling
Ansible is a powerful infrastructure automation tool. Kubernetes is a powerful application deployment platform. Learn how to use these tools to automate massively-scalable, highly-available infrastructure.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
CCIE Service Provider Version 4 Written and Lab Exam Comprehensive GuideNicholas Russo
The service provider landscape has changed rapidly over the past several years. Networking vendors are continuing to propose new standards, techniques, and procedures for overcoming new challenges while concurrently reducing costs and delivering new services. Cisco has recently updated the CCIE Service Provider track to reflect these changes; this book represents the author's personal journey in achieving that certification.
CCIE SP v4.1 - WorkbookŁukasz Bromirski, Piotr Jablonski, and Nicholas Russo
Are you striving to prepare to and pass CCIE SP lab exam? Take the opportunity and get this workbook! With the attached initial cfg files you will prepare yourself for the CCIE SP exam as well as learn SP technologies applicable to all kinds of today modern networks! This workbook covers blueprint topics and provides challenging examples.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Code Faster in DelphiAlister Christie
This book will make you a faster Delphi developer, it doesn't matter if you are just starting out, or have been using Delphi since version 1, you will find all sorts of tips, tricks and hacks to boost your productivity.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
Practical FP in Scala: A hands-on approachGabriel Volpe
A practical book aimed for those familiar with functional programming in Scala who are yet not confident about architecting an application from scratch.
Together, we will develop a purely functional application using the best libraries in the Cats ecosystem, while learning about design patterns and best practices.
Cloud StrategyGregor Hohpe
“Strategy is the difference between making a wish and making it come true.” A successful migration to the cloud shouldn’t be driven by wishes, but guided by a sound strategy, frameworks, and decision models. This book tells you how—without becoming superficial nor getting lost in technology and product details.
11 BooksThe Quality Software Bundle is for managers, would-be managers, and any of us who find themselves being managed and confused. This comprehensive bundle covers the entire span of software development approaches, from hacking through waterfall, cascade, prototyping, Iterative enhancement, reusable code, off-the-shelf, to Agile teams. The bundle...
11 BooksIn this bundle, you will find 10 different agile books. They are about different aspects of being agile. - finding a job - doing coding dojo's - Retrospectives - Personal kanban - a non-typical coaching book and even a book that gives you an insight in the lives of some agile people.
WTFlop 6M + HU - Beta Bundle
Fifty Quick Ideas
3 BooksGet all three books for the price of two! Fifty Quick Ideas books are full of practical, real-world techniques that you can use to improve teamwork, build better products and build them in a better way.
Growing Agile: Coach's Guide Series
4 BooksThis bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity instructions to run a number of...
Marionette.js A to Z
Complete Scala Bundle
3 BooksScala is a general-purpose programming language and it's getting extremely popular these days. Some say that learning Scala could be a challenging task. My experience, however, suggests that this is actually a myth that has very little to do with reality. With the right approach, learning Scala can be easy, fun and rewarding.The first book from...
Build A Better Backbone App
3 BooksThe best way to learn new development skills is through experience, but that takes time you don't have.Get the best of both worlds with this bundle: you'll learn how to produce modern web applications by learning from experienced developers like Derick Bailey and David Sulc. BackboneJS is one of the favorite tools on the web today, but it...
People Skills—Soft but Difficult
7 BooksPerhaps you've been told that "lack of people skills" has been holding you back. No wonder: you may have had hundreds of hours of technical training, but little or no "people skills" guidance.You've heard it said that people skills are "soft," whereas technical skills are "hard." For you, though, technical skills are "easy," but people skills...