Building Enterprise Capability
About the Book
The book provides an overview for a systems view of management. My views are largely based on those of Dr. Deming, along with natural extensions of his ideas such as lean manufacturing and agile software development.
To achieve great results a continuous focus on both achieving results today and building enterprise capability to maximize results over the long term is needed. Managers have many management concepts, practices and tools available to help them in this quest. The challenge is to create and continually build and improve a management system for the enterprise that leads to success. This book helps managers do that.
The book provides a framework for management thinking. With this framework the practices and tools can be applied to build enterprise capacity and amplify positive results.
I am proud that Management Matters is one of eight books listed in the 3rd Edition of The New Economics (published in 2018) as resources for further learning. The other book authors include: W. Edwards Deming, Peter Scholtes, Joyce Orsini, Brian Joiner and Ed Baker.
The book builds on the management ideas found in my Curious Cat Management Improvement blog.
Find interviews of the author including the Business 901 podcast of the year.
Chapter One - Management System
- Management System
- Systems Thinking - Getting a Dog to Wag Its Tail
- Respect People by Creating a Climate for Joy in Work
- The Toyota Way – Two Pillars
- How to Improve
- From Quality Tools to Management Improvement
- Focus on Customers and Employees
- Engage in Improving the Management System
- Encourage Improvement Action by Everyone
- The Importance of Critical Thinking and Challenging Assumptions
- Good Management is Good Management
- Why Use New Management Ideas if So Many Fail To Do So Effectively
- The Purpose of the Organization
- Overpaid Executives
- It Won’t Work Here
Chapter Two - Deming Management System
- Deming Management System
- Respect for People - Understanding Psychology
- Being Destroyed by Best Efforts
- Deming on Innovation
- Create a System That Lets People Take Pride in Their Work
- The aim of leadership is not merely to find and record failures of men
- How to Manage What You Can’t Measure
- The Illusion of Knowledge
Chapter Three - Management Concepts
- Management Concepts
- Going to the Gemba
- Ignoring Unpleasant Truths is Often Encouraged
- Having no Problems is a Problem
- Mistake Proofing
- Continual Learning
- Flaws in Understanding Psychology Lead to Flawed Management
- Data Visualization
- Circle of Influence
- Bad Management Results in Layoffs
- Arbitrary Rules Don’t Work
- Aligning Marketing Vision and Management
- Working with Suppliers
- Root Cause Analysis
Chapter Four - Management Practices
- Management Practices
- Why Do People Fail to Adopt Better Management Methods?
- How to Get a New Management Strategy, Tool or Concept Adopted
- Good Process Improvement Practices
- Good Project Management Practices
- Write it Down
- Making Better Decisions
- Involve IT Staff in Business Process Improvement
- Improving Software Development with Automated Tests
- Firing Workers Isn’t Fixing Problems
- Carve Out Time to Think
- Continual Feeding
- Building on Successful Improvement
- Building Adoption of Management Improvement Ideas in Your Organization
- Job Instructions
Chapter Five - Managing People
- Managing People
- Long Term Thinking with Respect for People
- Eliminate Demotivation
- Build an Environment Where Intrinsic Motivation Flourishes
- Interruptions Can Severely Damage Performance
- Maslow on Dealing with Authoritarians
- Respect People: Trust Them to Use good Judgment
- Many Good Employees Want to Continue to Do Their Current Job Well
- Talent Shortage, or Management Failure?
- Hire People You Can Trust to Do Their Jobs
- Helping Employees Improve
- Do What You Say You Will
- Dee Hock on Hiring
- Practical Ways to Respect People
- Don’t Empower
- Respect for People Doesn’t Mean Avoiding Any Hint of Criticism
- Righter Performance Appraisal
- Don’t Treat People Like You Want to be Treated
Chapter Six - Understanding and Using Data
- Using Data to Improve
- Outcome and In-Process Measures
- The Proxy Nature of Data
- Distort the System
- Data Can’t Lie
- Common and Special Cause Variation
- Bigger Impact: 15 to 18 mpg or 50 to 100 mpg?
- Be Careful What You Measure
- Actionable Metrics
Chapter Seven - Customer Focus
- Customer Focus
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- The Customer is the Purpose of Our Work
- Kano Customer Satisfaction Model
- Delighting Customers
- Customers Are Often Irrational
- Making Life Difficult for Customers
- Customer Un-focus
- Customers Get Dissed and Tell
- Confusing Customer Focus
- Be Thankful for Customers That Are Complaining, They Haven’t Given Up All Hope
Chapter Eight - Management Tools
- Management Tools
- Keys to the Effective Use of the PDSA Improvement Cycle
- What One Thing Could we do Better?
- Checklists in Software Development
- Improvement Tools and Improving Management
- Factorial Designed Experiments
Chapter Nine - Ideas for Managers
- Ideas for Managers
- Revealed Preference
- Confirmation Bias
- The Problem is Likely Not the Person Pointing Out The Problem
- Keeping Track of Improvement Opportunities
- Eliminate the Waste of Waiting in Line with Queuing Theory
- Going to the Gemba
- Mistake Proofing Deployment of Software Code
- Errors in Thinking
Chapter Ten - Ideas to Inspire
- Ideas for Inspire
- Positivity and Joy in Work
- Paying New Employees to Quit
- Improving the Recruitment Process
- Respecting People Even If Demand Slows
- How Downsizing is Handled When Management Respects People
- Using Visual Instructions
- Innovative Marketing Podcast
- Google’s Answer to Filling Jobs Is an Algorithm
- Giving Away Your Service for Free on Weekends
- Customer Focus in Internet Travel Search
- Combinatorial Testing
- Build Your Business Slowly and Without Huge Cash Requirements
- Acknowledge Failures, Learn, Improve and Share
- Amazon Innovation
- $60 Million Bonus - For all Staff
- 5 Million Lives Campaign
- Respect for People: Optimize for Developer Happiness at Etsy
Chapter Eleven - appendix and miscellaneous
- Key Management Concepts, Practices and Tools
- All Models Are Wrong But Some Are Useful
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...
2 BooksDocker and Kubernetes are taking the world by storm! These books will get you up-to-speed fast! Docker Deep Dive is over 400 pages long, and covers all objectives on the Docker Certified Associate exam.The Kubernetes Book includes everything you need to get up and running with Kubernetes!
Growing Agile: The Complete Coach's Guide
7 BooksGrowing Agile: Coach's Guide Series This bundle provides a collection of training and workshop plans for a variety of agile topics. The series is aimed at agile coaches, trainers and ScrumMasters who often find themselves needing to help teams understand agile concepts. Each book in the series provides the plans, slides, handouts and activity...