A step by step guide to building a full featured 2D game
About the Book
Playing games is fun, but making your own games is even better.
- Build a 2D platformer from scratch. When finished the game is going to be full featured: player, enemies, menu, animations, sounds, tilemaps, mobile friendly, and much more.
- Give you all the knowledge needed to build your own 2D games. For example a retro point & click, a clever puzzle game, an original platformer... it's completely up to you
So by the end of this book you will have a real game to play with and enough knowledge to build your own games.
Who is this for
What is Phaser
- It is free, open source, and actively maintained.
- It has a large community around it, so it's easy to get help.
- It is both powerful and easy to use, which is a rare combination.
- It allows you to create games that can be played on any device.
This book uses the latest version of Phaser (version 3.55.2) that was released in 2021.
Table of content
The 100+ pages ebook is split into nine chapters:
- Get started (setup Phaser, code structure)
- Core mechanics (sprite, keyboard inputs, physics, text, etc.)
- Scenes (load scene, menu scene, play scene)
- Juicify (sounds, tweens, particle effects, etc.)
- Improvements (best score, custom fonts, mute button, etc.)
- Tilemaps (tilesets, tilemaps, Tiled)
- Mobile friendly (scaling, touch inputs, device orientation, etc.)
- Next steps (game ideas, tips to create your own games)
Note that when the book gets updated with new content, all existing customers get the new version for free.
If you're not 100% satisfied with the purchase, just let me know within 30 days and you'll get a full refund. No questions asked!
What readers are saying
"This book will take you on the complete journey of building a game in Phaser, with plenty of hints and tips." By Richard Davey, creator of Phaser.
"Simply one of the best resources out there to learn Phaser, make your first game, and optimize it for mobile." By Jesse Freeman, developer evangelist at Amazon.
"Well written, wonderfully structured, and full of high quality code. This book is excellent." By Christer Kaitila, creator of OneGameMonth.
"This is the number one source of knowledge if you want to learn Phaser quickly and efficiently." By Andrzej Mazur, founder of Enclave Games.
Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have! My email: email@example.com
Just the ebook
The Book + Code Samples
The ebook + source code for each chapter + Phaser cheat sheet + empty game template
- 1 - Introduction
2 - Get started
- 2.1 - Set up project
- 2.2 - Code project
3 - Core mechanics
- 3.1 - Add player
- 3.2 - Create world
- 3.3 - Add coins
- 3.4 - Add enemies
- 3.5 - View code
4 - Scenes
- 4.1 - Overview
- 4.2 - Index file
- 4.3 - Load file
- 4.4 - Play file
- 4.5 - Menu file
- 4.6 - Game file
5 - Jucify
- 5.1 - Add sounds
- 5.2 - Add animations
- 5.3 - Add tweens
- 5.4 - Add particles effects
- 5.5 - Improve camera
6 - Improvements
- 6.1 - Add best score
- 6.3 - Use custom fonts
- 6.4 - Improve difficulty
- 6.5 - Improve loading
7 - Tilemaps
- 7.1 - Create assets
- 7.2 - Display tilemap
8 - Mobile friendly
- 8.1 - Test
- 8.2 - Resize game
- 8.3 - Add touch inputs
- 8.4 - Add touch buttons
- 8.5 - Handle orientations
9 - Next steps
- 9.1 - Improve the game
- 9.2 - Make new games
- 9.3 - Conclusion
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.