modern functional programming and type theory in a fun and accessible way
About the Book
Typed functional programming is the future, "techtonic" shift waiting to happen. However, accessible materials to help people efficiently master it without resorting to either trying to draw analogies from the imperative world or on the contrary, using a very technical and math-heavy top-down approach, are in high demand. This is an attempt to explain the elegance of modern functional programming patterns using Haskell as a primary language in a visual, accessible, and engaging way building on the foundation of math but without imperative crutches or heavily technical machinery.
Starting from Types, their creation, relations between each other and structure, „Magical Haskell“ gently builds up to what is considered complex and normally difficult to understand concepts - monads, using monad transformer stacks to structure real programs, foldable and traversable structures, and other interesting useful typeclasses - helping a reader to structure them neatly and use efficiently.
This is book 1 in a 5-book series, laying the foundation for future advanced topics.
How this book came to be: instead of an introduction
- Well, no, it’s a cloud.
- But who in the world has time for this?!
- So, how do we teach Haskell to kids or help adults master its’ power faster and more efficiently?
- Short Introduction: How To Read This Book
- How this book came to be: instead of an introduction
Part 1: Foundation
Chapter 1: Wizards, Types, and Functions
- Functional Programming Is Magic
- Solving Problems As Wizards Do
Let’s Fall In Love With Types!
- A Char and an Int walk into a bar and make a Function
- How FunTypical!
- Curry and Recurse!
- Mage’s Toolbox 1: Simple Types, Simple Functions, Recursion, If-Else
Chapter 2: Type Construction
House of cards with a little help from Algebra
- Algebraic Data Types
Type Functions Are Functions, Maybe?
- Advanced: On Data Constructors and Types
- List, Recursion on Types and Patterns
- Lift me up!
- House of cards with a little help from Algebra
Chapter 3M: Very Gentle Type Theory and Category Theory Intro
- Types and Functions
- Maybe and Advanced Generalized Functions
- Dependent Function Types (PI-types)
- Chapter 1: Wizards, Types, and Functions
Part 2: I Wanna Be FAMIOus!
Chapter 4: Basic Typeclasses or “Show Me A Monoid”
- Show Typeclass
- Algebra is cool
- Typeclasses Hierarchy in Haskell
Chapter 5: Functor, Bifunctor, Trifunctor enter an elevator…
- Functor Typeclas Definition
- 3-Dimensional Vector Example
- Tracking Players in our Game
- You are Either Functor or a Bifunctor
- PlayerData as a Bifunctor
Chapter 6: Applicative Application of the Applicants
- We need a bigger Lift
- Action! Apply! Cut!
- Chapter 7: O, Monad, Help me Compose!
- Chapter 8: Input, Output, IO
- Chapter 4: Basic Typeclasses or “Show Me A Monoid”
Part 3: Getting Real
Chapter 9: Real-World Programs
- Designing Types and Functions
- Stacking Monads
- Chapter 10: Mutable Variables, Vectors, Type Families
Chapter 11: Folding stuff, Traversing structures
- Functional data structures
What killed the
- Conclusion and future books in the series
- Chapter 9: Real-World Programs
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.