Longitudinal Data Analysis Using R
Longitudinal Data Analysis Using R
About the Book
Longitudinal data is essential for understanding the world around us. It allows us to investigate change in time as well get better causal estimates. Nevertheless, this type of data is also more complex, making it difficult to manipulate, explore and analyse.
This book covers all the key skills needed for working with longitudinal data using a hands on approach and real world data. To insure a good foundation it starts by introducing the basics of R, regression modelling, path analysis and the key concepts of longitudinal data. It then covers how to efficiently prepare longitudinal data by importing, recoding and reshaping data. This is followed by a comprehensive introduction to data exploration using tables, summary statistics and visualizations. Finally, the book offers an in depth guide to state of the art statistical models for the analysis of longitudinal data such as the multilevel model for change, the latent growth model and the cross-lagged model.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Longitudinal Data
- 1.1 Designed Longitudinal Data Collection in the Social Sciences
- 1.2 Longitudinal Data Structures
- 1.3 Longitudinal Research Questions
2. Introduction to R
- 2.1 R and RStudio
- 2.2 Object Types in R
- 2.3 Subsetting
- 2.4 Importing and Exporting Data
- 2.5 Extending R Using Packages
- 2.6 Further Reading
3. Preparing Longitudinal Data
- 3.1 Importing Data
- 3.2 Merging and Reshaping
- 3.3 Cleaning Data
- 3.3 Efficient Data Preparation
- 3.3 Further Reading
4. Describing Longitudinal Data
- 4.1 Tables and Summaries
- 4.2 Using Graphs with Longitudinal Data
- 4.3 Further Reading
5. Introduction to Regression Models
- 5.1 Correlation and Regression
- 5.2 Modelling Different Types of Relationships
- 5.3 Further Reading
6. Introduction to Path Analysis
- 6.1 Auto-Regressive Models
- 6.2 Fit Indices and Model Comparison
- 6.3 Further Reading
7. The Cross-Lagged Models
- 7.1 The Cross-Lagged Model
- 7.2 Running the Cross-Lagged Model in R
- 7.3 Testing the Equality of Cross-Lagged Coefficients
- 7.4 Including Control Variables
- 7.5 Conclusions
- 7.6 Further Reading
8. The Multilevel Model for Change
- 8.1 What is Multilevel Modelling?
- 8.2 Multilevel Modeling and Longitudinal Data
- 8.3 Treating Time Flexibly
- 8.4 Explaining Change
- 8.5 Model Building and Model Comparison
- 8.6 Further Reading
9. The Latent Growth Model
- 9.1 What is Latent Growth Modelling?
- 9.2 Estimating Latent Growth Model in R
- 9.3 Treating Time Flexibly
- 9.4 Explaining Change Using LGM
- 9.5 Model Building and Model Comparison
- 9.6 Comparison with the Multilevel Model for Change
- 9.7 Conclusions
- 9.8 Further Reading
10. Measurement Error and Longitudinal Data
- 10.1 Confirmatory Factor Analysis
- 10.2 Longitudinal Equivalence
- 10.3 Second Order Models
- 10.4 The Quasi-Simplex Model
- 10.5 Further Reading
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them