About the Book
This book delivers practical techniques, habits, attitudes, and perspectives developers can cultivate in order to consistently perform at their best as professional software developers. If you are a developer, this book will help you enjoy a long and rewarding career and avoid the grind and drudgery that so many developers encounter.
I promise if you follow the ideas in this book, you will:
- Enjoy your work more
- Be more productive
- Become a technical leader in your team or organization
- Gain respect from your colleages
- Get a promotion or find a better job
- Earn more by increasing your value to your employer
If that's not worth $39 to you, then you can hardly call yourself a professional developer.
If you don't find the content valuable, you can get always your money back!
There is no code in this book. We do not discuss technical matters. Non-developers who have an interest in the productivity of software developers or who are just curious about the discipline may also find the material of interest.
Table of Contents
- How to Read Level Up!
- What is Software Development?
- Professional Software Development
- Craft vs Profession
- Logic and Beauty in Software Development
- Subjectivity of Value
- Connecting to the Value
- Setting a Value Alarm
- Automate Your Chores
- Software as both Asset and Liability
- Climb the Abstraction Ladder
- What is Quality?
- The Craftsmanship Approach
- Efficiency Impacts Quality
- Quality Features
- Producing Quality User Experiences
- Quality Under the Covers
- What Makes a Developer Productive?
- Habits of Highly Productive Developers
- Avoiding Wasted Effort
- Productivity Takeaways
- Work Where Developers Are Valued
- Evaluate Yourself
- Build a Technical Competency Map
- Find Your Level
- Move Up
- Give Back
- Be of Good Character
- Create a Professional Impression
- What is Pair Programming?
- Why We Pair
- When to Pair
- Driving vs. Navigating
- Use Proper Sitting Posture
- Structuring Breaks
- Keep Each Other Accountable
- What to Do if Your Workplace Does Not Pair
- Debug Your Workplace
- Enjoy Your Work
- Enjoy Your Life