The Lean Product Guide
The Lean Product Guide
A practitioner's guide to building viable products customers love.
About the Book
This ebook is a curated collection of methods and practices for creating digital products using Agile and Lean principles. At ThoughtWorks we build custom products and work closely with our clients to evolve practices that adapt to their industry and environments. Our coachees told us they don’t have time to read long lengthy books about the theory of lean product development, or to sort through the dozen or so books to understand the basics of building products (strategy, user experience, user research, agile, scrum, kanban, stories, testing, continuous delivery, continuous integration, … the list is long!). They also told us they want a reference guide of information on practical tools, activities and tips that they can follow along. So we created this guide as a curated collection of hand picked techniques, tools and practices for lean product development.You’ll learn how to:
- Deliver customer value faster by reducing time from “concept to cash"
- Validate early product concepts, solutions and features
- Thin slice your product idea to enable frequent releases of value
- Apply lean, six sigma and agile delivery methods for product development
Table of Contents
- Why did we write a book?
- Who is this book for?
Lean Product Concepts
- Guiding Principles & Practices of Lean Product
Bridging Strategy and Execution - The Double Diamond
- The Double Diamond Phases
- Applying The Double Diamond Mind-Set
Product Development Process
- Types of Product Innovation
- Incremental Innovation
- Evolutionary Innovation
- Revolutionary Innovation
- Deciding On An Approach
- Problem-Solution Fit
- Product-Market Fit
- Balancing Business, Customer and Technical Goals
Hypothesis Driven Product Discovery
- Listing Assumptions and Defining Hypotheses
- Prioritizing Experiments
- Defining MVP & Thin Slicing for Delivery
Deciding When To pivot
- When To defer or Kill a Product
- When To Ramp Up A Delivery Team
Making The Case For A Product Idea
- Presenting A Product Idea Pitch
Lean Product Activities
- Stakeholder & Subject Matter Interviews
- Industry, Market & Competitor Research
- Root Cause Analysis
- Customer Interviews
- Interviewing Techniques
- Synthesizing Research Results
- Product Visioning Workshop
- Concept or Hypothesis Validation
- Relative Prioritization With Customers (card sort)
- Evolutionary Architecture
- Design Charrettes
- Customer Journey Maps
- Facilitated Brainstorming
- Defining MVP & Creating A Story-Map
- User Stories
- Strategic Product Roadmap
- Defining and Tracking Metrics
- Showcase & Feedback Labs
- Project Trade-off Sliders
- Closing Thoughts
- About The Author
- About The Co-Creator
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them