Leading Smart People: Essays from 2018
About the Book
2018 was a pretty good year. I taught workshops in San Francisco, Oregon and Berlin, coached people from around the world, and developed Software Leader Seminar, a self- paced leadership course. But the thing I’ve worked hardest on, and the thing I’m proudest of, is my writing. My goal has always been to connect with people, both managers and developers, and help them learn how to build – and be part of – happy teams that produce valuable work.
With that in mind, I decided to collect some of my best writing from 2018 and offer it to you here in one place. Any collection of pieces written
over time has a few oddities – bits of chronology that don’t quite fit, references to current (now in the past) events. But overall, I hope you can find as much usefulness in these articles as my original readers did. So read on for 2018’s best!
- The Real Work of Software Management - Part 1
- The Real Work of Software Management - Part 2
- 7 Tips to Successfully Micromanage Programmers
- The Wrong Section of the Bookstore
- The Science of Happy Developers: How to Improve Your Dev Team's Mojo
- Onboard People, not Technology
- Why Your Programmers Fantasize about a Big Rewrite
- Why Your Programmer Just Wants to Code
- A Wake-Up Call for Tech Managers
- Let's Stop Learned Helplessness in Software Engineering
- The Surprising Misery of Empowered Teams
- Advanced PeopleOps - 1:1 Retrospectives
- The Myth of Many Hands
- The 4-Letter Word That Makes My Blood Boil
- Your Agile Assembly Line Workers
- Why Software Quality Is So Confusing (and How We Can Fix It)
- The Trap of Sales-Driven Development
- The Unexpected Danger of Typecasting in Engineering Teams
- 9 Lessons from Teams Who Anticipate Learning
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. Free App. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets), MOBI (for Kindle) and in the free Leanpub App (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.