Language and Culture Documentation Manual
Language and Culture Documentation Manual
About the Book
The authors draw on experience from Africa, Europe, Asia and the Pacific to passionately convey why language and culture documentation is urgent and why working ethically is crucial. This is followed by step-by-step instructions about what to document, leading to the specifics needed for writing a documentation proposal. The book includes recommendations for equipment and software, with details about how to get archive quality recordings. Data management and preparing the corpus for archiving are thoroughly covered. The appendices include forms and summaries the reader will want to refer to often.
Part 1: Theory
Chapter 1. What is language endangerment?
- Numbers of language
- “Endangered” linguistic purity abroad and through time
- Causes of language endangerment
- Speakers of endangered languages
- Assessing language endangerment
Chapter 2. What is Language Documentation?
- Language documentation as external memory
- Language documentation as linguistic and anthropological fieldwork
- Language documentation as a shift of focus from earlier fieldwork
- The core tasks of language documentation
- The Seven Dimensions of Portability
Chapter 3. What is Culture Documentation?
- Cultural features to document
- Discovering and analyzing a community’s cultural heritage through ethnoarts
- Sample analysis: Santa Cruz nelâ dance event
Chapter 4. Language and Culture Documentation: Themes and Motivations
- Increased interest in language and culture documentation
- Language Documentation as activism
- Who are we trying to convince? The problem of multiple audiences
- Finding common ground
- The arguments for language and culture documentation
- Why not do language and culture documentation
Chapter 5. Ethics: Theory, Planning, Reality
- Ethics in theory
- Planning for ethical field work
- Ethical realities in the field
- Chapter 1. What is language endangerment?
Part 2: A Language and Culture Documentation Project
Chapter 6. Planning a Language and Culture Documentation Project
- Researching the language and culture
- Finding funding sources
- Initiating community involvement
- Planning a corpus
- Making a project schedule
- Choosing an archive
- Writing a language and culture documentation project proposal
- Respecting intellectual property rights
- Developing a data management system
- Building a team
- Training for yourself and others
- Selecting equipment, software, and supplies
- Making a budget
- Obtaining permissions
- Planning travel logistics
- Conducting an advance visit to the field site (optional)
Chapter 7. A Project Proposal
- Succinct and compelling title for your documentary project
- Project overview and outcomes
- Plan of the corpus
- Ethics statement, permissions, and community review
- Work plan and schedule
- Data management plan
- Resources and budget
- Summary, Significance, Conclusion
Chapter 8. The Documentary Corpus
- Goals and characteristics of a documentary corpus
- Components of a complete corpus
- Five types of data and their sub-types
- How much to record
- A simple fieldwork approach
Chapter 9. Archives
- Finding an archive
- Criteria for a responsible archive
- Working with an archive
- Chapter 6. Planning a Language and Culture Documentation Project
Part 3: Methods and Equipment
Chapter 10. Capturing Quality Audio and Visual Data
- Desired outcomes for audio and visual data
- How to pursue desired outcomes for audio and visual data
Chapter 11. Equipment
- What to consider when selecting equipment
- Basic rules for buying equipment
- The core recording tools
- Peripheral recording tools
- Direct-to-computer recording
- Equipment not in the Signal Chain
- Final thoughts
- Shopping help
Chapter 12. Basic Oral Language Documentation (BOLD)
- The BOLD process
- BOLD in the field: Who should do what, where, and how
- Advantages and disadvantages to BOLD
- Computer-assisted oral annotation
- Activities for BOLD practice
Chapter 13. Software
- Language and Culture Documentation as Digital Activity
- Guidelines for selecting software
- Core software
- A Word about video software
- Expanding your software toolkit
- Chapter 10. Capturing Quality Audio and Visual Data
Part 4: Fieldwork
Chapter 14. Data Management
- What is metadata?
- Levels of metadata
- Gathering metadata
- Bundling data
- Access protocol: A very important piece of metadata
- Backing up data
Chapter 15. Elicitation: Tips, Techniques, and Tools
- Eliciting words
- Eliciting grammatical constructions
- Eliciting communicative events
- Eliciting analytical discussions
Chapter 16. Fieldwork Flow
- Tips for time management
- Arrival logistics
- Workflow of sociolinguistic preparation
- General workflow of fieldwork tasks
- Example workflows for elicited data
- Workflow of speech events with oral annotations
- Workflow of written transcription
- Workflow of analytical discussions
- Workflow of cultural events
- Workflow of departure logistics
- Chapter 14. Data Management
Part 5: Post-field Processing
Chapter 17. Archiving
- Digitization of legacy materials
- Conduct quality assurance
- Finish annotations
- Finish item-level metadata
- Finish the structural skeleton (corpus-level metadata)
- Review the documentary corpus
- Contact the archive and deposit the corpus
- Keep the corpus discoverable and accessible
Chapter 18. Description and Publishing in Language and Culture Documentation
- The importance of dissemination
- Citing an archived corpus
- Publishing and language revitalization
- Chapter 17. Archiving
Appendix A. Ethnoarts Discovery and Analysis Profile
- <COMMUNITY NAME>
- Step 1: Meet and identify the community
- Step 2: Explore the community’s social & conceptual life
- Step 3: List cultural events & arts genres in them
- Step 4: Identify & record significant events & genres
- Step 5: Analyze the selected event(s) and genre(s)
- Step 6: AV record the relevant genres and events again, if needed; add appropriate annotation
Appendix B. Oral Informed Consent, Template 1
- Group Introduction, General Permission
- Permissions From Individuals Being Recorded
Appendix C. Written Informed Consent
- Informed Consent Release for Audio/Video/Photo Recording
Appendix D. Funding Sources for Language and Culture Documentation
- International Funding
- Funding for US nationals or residents
- Appendix E: How Much of Which Genres to Collect
- Appendix F. What to Collect with Limited Time
Appendix G. Functions of Language
- Survival Functions
- Social Functions
- Self-expressive Functions
- Cognitive Functions
- Managing conversations
- Appendix H. Comparing Major Archives
- Appendix I. Archival Best Practice for Audio Files
Appendix J. Checklist for Audio Recording
- Before the “performance” begins
- Record the event
- After the “performance” is over
Appendix K. Oral Annotation Setup
- The Basic Setup
- Setup for Equipment with no XLR Jacks
- Setting Up Menus and Control Use
Appendix L. Segmenting with Audacity
- Specific Steps using Audacity to segment files
- Appendix M. Metadata Template - Communicative Event
- Appendix N. Metadata Template
Appendix O. Script for Capturing Catastrophic Metadata
- 1. Slotted Catastrophic Metadata
- 2. Conversational Catastrophic Metadata
Appendix P. File Labeling Key
- Rules of Digital File Naming
- Appendix Q. The Mirrored Recliner
- Appendix R. Sample Plan for “Basic Corpus” Fieldwork
Appendix S. Daily Fieldwork Sessions: A Checklist
- Before walking out the door
- Arriving on site
- A Recording session
- Before leaving the site
- At the end of the day
Appendix T: Corpus Introduction Template
- I. Introduction.
- II. The language community.
- III. Previous work in the language.
- IV. The need for documentation.
- V. Plan of the corpus.
- VII. Community review.
- VIII. Planning.
- IX. Methodology.
- X. Acknowledgments.
- Appendix U: Checklist for Reviewing an LCD Corpus
- Appendix A. Ethnoarts Discovery and Analysis Profile
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
The book is almost daily updated. These incremental updates ease my interaction with the proofreaders.
A Guide to Artificial Intelligence in HealthcareDr. Bertalan Mesko
Can we stay human in the age of A.I.? To go even further, can we grow in humanity, can we shape a more humane, more equitable and sustainable healthcare? This e-book aims to prepare healthcare and medical professionals for the era of human-machine collaboration. Read our guide to understanding, anticipating and controlling artificial intelligence.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Sockets and PipesType Classes
Sockets and Pipes is not an introduction to Haskell; it is an introduction to writing software in Haskell. Using a handful of everyday Haskell libraries, this book walks through reading the HTTP specification and implementing it to create a web server.
Introducing EventStormingAlberto Brandolini
The deepest tutorial and explanation about EventStorming, straight from the inventor.
node-opcua by exampleEtienne Rossignon
Get the best out of node-opcua through a set of documented examples by the author himself that will allow you to create stunning OPCUA Servers or Clients.
Ansible for DevOpsJeff Geerling
Ansible is a simple, but powerful, server and configuration management tool. Learn to use Ansible effectively, whether you manage one server—or thousands.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
Composing SoftwareEric Elliott
All software design is composition: the act of breaking complex problems down into smaller problems and composing those solutions. Most developers have a limited understanding of compositional techniques. It's time for that to change.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
All the Books of The Medical Futurist
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy, digital health investments and how technology giants such as Amazon...
3 BooksBuy every PowerShell book from Adam Bertram at a 20% discount!
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Modern C++ by Nicolai Josuttis
Django for Beginners/APIs/Professionals
Learn Git, Bash, and Terraform the Hard Way
3 BooksLearn Git, Bash and Terraform using the Hard Way method.These technologies are essential tools in the DevOps armoury. These books walk you through their features and subtleties in a simple, gradual way that reinforces learning rather than baffling you with theory.
Software Architecture and Beautiful APIs
2 BooksThere is no better way to learn how to design good APIs than to look at many existing examples, complementing the Software Architecture theory on API design.
Digital Future of Healthcare and Pharma
3 BooksThese three popular e-books from The Medical Futurist describes how digital health technologies will shape the future of health, healthcare, medicine and pharma with exciting infographics in a digestible format.