This book is 25% complete
Last updated on 2016-09-17
About the Book
Career Development is not end of year reviews from HR and lofty action plans which are swiftly ignored. Many developers are happy to keep their head down and just keep coding. Whilst there’s nothing inherently wrong with this it is guaranteed to lead to a stagnant career without opportunities. This book is for developers who are smart enough to know that they must take ownership of their own careers and offers a specific roadmap to move to becoming a senior developer and dev lead or team leader, depending on preference.
This is a book full of actionable advice. The intent isn’t to read it and go “that’s nice”- it’s to read it and be able to put the recommendations into practice straight away. This advice isn’t just coming from my experience, but that of the ten senior developers at companies such as Google, a number of leading financial firms and a variety of other companies. This makes the book language and specialty agnostic.
If you’re ready to become a better developer and a better employee, then start reading now.
- The Key to Becoming a Better Developer: Read More
Why aren’t you writing online?
- 1. It put’s you out there
- 2. It makes you try new stuff out
- 3. It makes your formulate and explain your opinions
- 4. It will get you noticed
- Build Your Network At Every Opportunity
Create movements at work
- Dev Sharing club aka “The Developer Alliance”
- The Upskilling/Team Building Initiative
- You don’t need to invent something yourself
How to speak at conferences
- Stage 1- find conferences
- The proposal
- Dealing with the lack of experience
- A word on payment
- Organising external speakers is easier than you think
- Programming abroad
Effective pair programming
- Where to start
- To rewrite or iterate, that is the question
- TDD will speed you up, not slow you down
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...