The Jackson Cookbook
This book is 20% complete
Last updated on 2013-09-03
About the Book
Jackson is a popular, high-performance JSON processor for Java. Jackson can support almost any JSON need that you might have, but that flexibility can make it complex to use. This book takes a problem and then shows, with lots of code and JSON examples, how to solve that problem using various Jackson features. Many of these problems were ones I encountered integrating JSON support with a "legacy" codebase, i.e., a codebase where I couldn't modify the code, using Data Binding, but I'll also cover some of the Streaming API that's used within custom serializers/deserializers. As a bonus, the Appendix contains a description of JSON tools that I've found useful along the way.
- Configuring the ObjectMapper with pretty-printing, null-handling, and more
- Integrating with legacy or third-party code using mix-ins
- Ignoring properties and types and adjusting property auto-detection
- Writing custom serializers and deserializers
- Using @JsonCreator and value instantiators
- Grouping customizations into Modules
If you're using Jackson, and have a pesky problem (or solution!), don't hesitate to post it in the book discussion group here: http://j.mp/jcdiscuss and I may include it in the next release of this book.
Note that this book covers only the 2.x version of Jackson, not the earlier 1.x releases.
Following the LeanPub credo, publish early and often, I am publishing this book even though only 2 chapters (and 2 appendices) have been written. As an early buyer you can purchase the book at bargain price. As more chapters are completed and published, the minimum price will go up.
- Version 0.3
- Version 0.2
- Version 0.1
- Problems Welcome!
Configuring JSON Formatting
- Recipe: Make JSON Output More Readable
- Recipe: Ordering properties in JSON output
- What they are
- What they’re not
- Two styles of Mix-ins
- Recipe: Stand-alone mix-in classes
- Recipe: Make a POJO deserializable
Appendix: JSON Information
- JSON Defined
- JSON Schema
Appendix: JSON Tools
- JSON Lint
- JSON Editor Online
Appendix: Java JSON Tools
- JSON Schema to Java POJO
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...