iText 7: Building Blocks
iText 7: Building Blocks
About the Book
This is the second tutorial in the iText 7 series. In the first tutorial, "iText 7: Jump-Start Tutorial", we discussed a series of examples that explained the core functionality of iText.
In this book, we'll focus on the high-level building blocks that were introduced in Chapter 1 of the "iText 7: Jump-Start Tutorial", titled "Introducing basic building blocks". In that chapter, we created PDFs using objects such as Paragraph, List, Image and Table, but we didn't go into detail.
This "iText 7: Building Blocks" tutorial is the extended version of that chapter. In this tutorial, you'll discover which building blocks are available and how they all relate to each other.
Table of Contents
- Before we start: Overview of the classes and interfaces
Chapter 1: Introducing the PdfFont class
- Creating a PdfFont object
- Embedding a font
- Choosing the appropriate encoding
- Font properties
- Reusing styles
Chapter 2: Working with the RootElement
- Using Canvas to add content inside a Rectangle
- Converting text to PDF with the Document class
- Changing the Document renderer
- Switching between different renderers
- Flushing the Document renderer
- Changing content that was previously added
- Adding a Page X of Y footer
- Adding text with showTextAligned
- Using iText 7 add-ons
- Improving the typography
Chapter 3: Using ILeafElement implementations
- Working with Tab elements
- Limitations of the Tab functionality
- Adding links
- Extra methods available in the Text class
- Introducing images
- Changing the position and width of an image
- Adding an image to an existing PDF
- Resizing and rotating an image
- Image types supported by iText
Chapter 4: Adding AbstractElement objects (part 1)
- Grouping elements with the Div class
- Drawing horizontal lines with the LineSeparator object
- Keeping content together
- Changing the leading of a Paragraph
- Creating a custom renderer
- Lists and list symbols
- Adding ListItem objects to a List
- Nested lists
Chapter 5: Adding AbstractElement objects (part 2)
- My first table
- Table and cell Alignment
- Row and cell height
- Cell margins and padding
- Table and cell borders
- Nesting tables
- Repeating headers and footers
- Images in tables
- Splitting cells versus keeping content together
- Table and cell renderers
- Tables and memory use
Chapter 6: Creating actions, destinations, and bookmarks
- URI actions
- Named actions
- GoTo actions
- Named destinations
- Remote GoTo actions
- Chained actions
- Link annotations
- Outlines aka bookmarks
- Color and style of the outline elements.
Chapter 7: Handling events; setting viewer preferences and writer properties
- Implementing the IEventHandler interface
- Adding a background and text to every page
- Solving the “Page X of Y” problem
- Adding a transparent background image
- Insert and remove page events
- Page labels
- Page display and page mode
- Viewer preferences
- Printer preferences
- Open action and additional actions
- Writer properties
- A: AbstractElement methods
- B: BlockElement methods
- C: RootElement methods
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them