Identity, Authentication and Gaming
Identity, Authentication and Gaming
About the Book
Like most applications, gaming and esports apps typically need some form of authentication and authorization. Depending on the game, a user's account may be anonymous, pseudonymous, or tied to a real world identity.
If a game is single player and single device, authenticating the user may not be required, but once a game is available across devices or can be played with friends or others, game developers need to build authentication. And with authentication comes authorization, where some users may have access to different kinds of functionality.
Auth is critical yet undifferentiated functionality. It's also the front door to your game; if the user can't log in, they can't enjoy what you've worked so hard to build.
While there is a lot of literature out there on different authentication and authorization systems, especially from the perspective of employees/employers, this ebook focuses on specific needs of gaming and esports developers.
Table of Contents
Identity Provider Needs for Gaming or Esports
- What Are the Special Needs in Gaming or Esports?
- Summing Up
Cross-Platform Gaming Accounts: Why and How?
- What Is a Cross-Platform Gaming Account?
- Advantages of Cross-Platform Accounts
- Enabling Cross-Platform Play via Auth Servers
- How Do You Choose an Auth Provider?
- Implementing a Cross-Platform Gaming Account Using an Auth Server
Securing Gaming User Accounts
- Why Should You Secure Gaming Accounts?
- How Do Attacks Threaten Users?
- How to Secure Gaming Accounts
How the OAuth Device Authorization Grant Can Make Your Users’ Lives Easier
- What Is the OAuth Device Authorization Grant?
- Using the OAuth Device Authorization Grant in a Game
Best Practices for Handling Spiky Registration Traffic for Game Launches
- Why Do You Need to Manage Launch Day Spikes?
- Run Load Testing and Stress Testing
- Cache Resources Liberally
- Use Autoscaling
- Use a Monitoring Service
- Use a CAPTCHA Service
- Reduce Form Questions
- Use an External User Auth Service
- Use Serverless Infrastructure
What is Identity Proofing?
- How Identity Proofing Works
The Benefits of Self-Hosting Critical Infrastructure to Reduce Latency in Gaming
- What Is Critical Infrastructure?
- Why Is Network Latency Important?
- What Are Your Options for Hosting Critical Infrastructure?
- Why Should You Self-Host?
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 million USDwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
Learn more about Leanpub's ebook formats and where to read them