iBeacon: Getting Started
Last updated on 2015-10-24
About the Book
This book was created from this blog post: Getting Started with iBeacon: A Swift Tutorial. The same information in the blog post is found in this eBook, and is being provided as an alternate way to follow the tutorial.
Since all the content is freely available on my blog, this eBook will also be free (with the option to pay for it only if you'd like to). I'm doing this for two reasons. First, I wanted to experiment with LeanPub and the publishing process. Second, I want to gauge demand for this format. I read lots of technical books, but not often short tutorials like this, so I simply want to see if it's something people want.Requirements
- Xcode 6 or newer, so you can write in Swift.
- A BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) iOS device (iPhone 4S or newer, iPod touch 5th gen or newer, iPad 3 or newer, or iPad mini) running iOS8 or later (just because we're writing in Swift). Note: make sure Bluetooth is also turned on. You must use a real device (the Simulator cannot detect beacons).
- Beacons. I'm using Estimote beacons, but you can use anything you'd like. You can even download an app that will turn your device into a beacon, but it will need to be a different device than the one you're running this demo on. The tutorial will work best with 2 or more.
- Project Overview
- Project Code
- Project Screencast
Chapter 1: Setting up the project
- Create a new project
- CoreLocation & CLLocationManager
- Requesting Permission for Location Services
Chapter 2: Start Listening for Beacons
- Finding Beacons In Your Regions
Chapter 3: Getting Data from Nearby Beacons
- Setup Color References
- Understanding Beacon Data
Chapter 4: Reacting to Beacons
- Filter Out Unknown Values
- Identify the Closest Beacon
- Update the Background Color
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms...