iBeacon: Getting Started
iBeacon: Getting Started
A brief iOS tutorial in Swift
About the Book
This book was created from this blog post: Getting Started with iBeacon: A Swift Tutorial. The same information in the blog post is found in this eBook, and is being provided as an alternate way to follow the tutorial.
Since all the content is freely available on my blog, this eBook will also be free (with the option to pay for it only if you'd like to). I'm doing this for two reasons. First, I wanted to experiment with LeanPub and the publishing process. Second, I want to gauge demand for this format. I read lots of technical books, but not often short tutorials like this, so I simply want to see if it's something people want.Requirements
- Xcode 6 or newer, so you can write in Swift.
- A BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) iOS device (iPhone 4S or newer, iPod touch 5th gen or newer, iPad 3 or newer, or iPad mini) running iOS8 or later (just because we're writing in Swift). Note: make sure Bluetooth is also turned on. You must use a real device (the Simulator cannot detect beacons).
- Beacons. I'm using Estimote beacons, but you can use anything you'd like. You can even download an app that will turn your device into a beacon, but it will need to be a different device than the one you're running this demo on. The tutorial will work best with 2 or more.
- Project Overview
- Project Code
- Project Screencast
Chapter 1: Setting up the project
- Create a new project
- CoreLocation & CLLocationManager
- Requesting Permission for Location Services
Chapter 2: Start Listening for Beacons
- Finding Beacons In Your Regions
Chapter 3: Getting Data from Nearby Beacons
- Setup Color References
- Understanding Beacon Data
Chapter 4: Reacting to Beacons
- Filter Out Unknown Values
- Identify the Closest Beacon
- Update the Background Color
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.