Hacking with React
Hacking with React
Get started with React, React Router, Jest, Webpack, ES6 and more with this hands-on guide.
About the Book
It's impossible to work on the web without having heard about React. Facebook developed it, but Airbnb are using it, as are Netflix, Uber and many more. And with good reason: React is a whole new way of developing complex web applications in a way that allows you to spend more time writing great code and less time fighting with the DOM.
I wrote Hacking with React with one goal in mind: to teach React coding in the fastest, most efficient way possible. After setting up your computer so that it's ready for development, you start coding with React immediately – there's no boring "History of web" chapter that rants on about how the internet was created. Instead, it's all code, all the time.
In short, it uses the very latest technology the web has to offer so that you learn quickly and easily.
Here are just some of the topics covered:
- How to install Webpack, Babel and React for development with ES6.
- How to create a React component and import it into an application.
- How to write JSX to render content.
- How to use props to give a component values.
- How to handle events such as onClick.
- How to use React state, and how it differs from props.
- How to fetch data from GitHub using SuperAgent and Ajax.
- How to use string interpolation and computed property names.
- How to create routes using React Router.
- How to create links between pages using <Link>.
- How to render default content using <IndexRoute>.
- How to use Jest to test React component rendering.
- How to use Jest to simulate user interface with controls.
- How to create asynchronous tests using waitFor() and runs().
- How to lint your React code using ESLint and Babel.
In short, this book is the fastest way to get up to speed with React development, and is guaranteed to jump start your learning. Even better, your purchase includes any future updates free of charge!
You can download the complete source code for the book from GitHub at https://github.com/twostraws/HackingWithReact.
- Begin at the Beginning: Chapter One
- The Importance of using Webpack with React
- Introduction to JSX
- Importing React Components using ES6
- What are React Props?
- Generating Random Values for Our Page
- How to Write if/else Conditional Statements in JSX
- Using JSX to Render Several Elements at Once
- Handling Events with JSX: onClick
- State vs Props in React
- Changing a React Component’s State with setState()
- State and the Single Source of Truth
- Rendering an Array of Data with map() and JSX
- Cleaning up and Preparing for a Real Project
- Fetching Ajax Data from GitHub using SuperAgent
- Converting GitHub’s JSON into Meaningful JSX
- Time for a Task: Reading from Three Feeds
- How to Upgrade Our App to Read Three Feeds
- Refactoring our Ajax Code: Don’t Repeat Yourself
- Refactoring our State Code: Passing Parameters in onClick
- Introducing React Router
- How to Add a New Route to React Router
- Creating a Link Between Pages in React Router
- Making Custom URLs with React Router Params
- Adding a Root Route Using React Router and IndexRoute
- Cleaning up Our Routes and Preparing for the Next Step
- Time for a Test: Clickable Usernames
- Making Usernames Clickable: My Solution
- Time for some Basic User Interface Polish
- Adding React Router Breadcrumbs with Link and IndexLink
- The First 80% is Done: Now What?
- How to Configure Jest to Test React and ES6
- Creating our First React Test with Jest
- Using Jest to Test Our React Components
- Using Jest to Simulate User Interaction on a React Component
- Time for Ajax: Using Jest with Asynchronous Tests
- Mocking Ajax with Jest: Making an Asynchronous Test Become Synchronous
- Cleaning up Our Tests: Last Tweaks
- Linting React using ESLint and Babel
- Linting React using Airbnb’s ESLint Rules
- How to Add React Component Prop Validation in Minutes
- Bringing it all Together: Project Complete!
The Leanpub 45-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 45 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers), EPUB (for phones and tablets) and MOBI (for Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.
C++ Best PracticesJason Turner
Level up your C++, get the tools working for you, eliminate common problems, and move on to more exciting things!
OpenIntro StatisticsDavid Diez, Christopher Barr, Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, and OpenIntro
A complete foundation for Statistics, also serving as a foundation for Data Science.
Leanpub revenue supports OpenIntro (US-based nonprofit) so we can provide free desk copies to teachers interested in using OpenIntro Statistics in the classroom and expand the project to support free textbooks in other subjects.
More resources: openintro.org.
Functional Design and ArchitectureAlexander Granin
Software Design in Functional Programming, Design Patterns and Practices, Methodologies and Application Architectures. How to build real software in Haskell with less efforts and low risks. The first complete source of knowledge.
R Programming for Data ScienceRoger D. Peng
This book brings the fundamentals of R programming to you, using the same material developed as part of the industry-leading Johns Hopkins Data Science Specialization. The skills taught in this book will lay the foundation for you to begin your journey learning data science. Printed copies of this book are available through Lulu.
C++20 is the next big C++ standard after C++11. As C++11 did it, C++20 changes the way we program modern C++. This change is, in particular, due to the big four of C++20: ranges, coroutines, concepts, and modules.
I am a Software Engineer and I am in ChargeAlexis Monville and Michael Doyle
I am a Software Engineer and I am in Charge is a real-world, practical book that helps you increase your impact and satisfaction at work no matter who you work with.
In the book, we will follow Sandrine, a fictional character who learns to think in a new way enabling her to take a different course of action.
Atomic KotlinBruce Eckel and Svetlana Isakova
For both beginning and experienced programmers! From the author of the multi-award-winning Thinking in C++ and Thinking in Java together with a member of the Kotlin language team comes a book that breaks the concepts into small, easy-to-digest "atoms," along with exercises supported by hints and solutions directly inside IntelliJ IDEA!
Invest In Digital Health - The Medical Futurist's GuideDr. Bertalan Mesko
Artificial Intelligence and Digital Health are booming. In this book, we explain why now it's a good time to invest in Digital Health and give recommendations on where to invest by looking at the top 24 technological trends we find the most promising.
The Hundred-Page Machine Learning BookAndriy Burkov
Everything you really need to know in Machine Learning in a hundred pages.
Mastering STM32Carmine Noviello
With more than 600 microcontrollers, STM32 is probably the most complete ARM Cortex-M platform on the market. This book aims to be the first guide around that introduces the reader to this exciting MCU portfolio from ST Microelectronics and its official CubeHAL.
Software Architecture for Developers: Volumes 1 & 2 - Technical leadership and communication
2 Books"Software Architecture for Developers" is a practical and pragmatic guide to modern, lightweight software architecture, specifically aimed at developers. You'll learn:The essence of software architecture.Why the software architecture role should include coding, coaching and collaboration.The things that you really need to think about before...
CCIE Service Provider Ultimate Study Bundle
2 BooksPiotr Jablonski, Lukasz Bromirski, and Nick Russo have joined forces to deliver the only CCIE Service Provider training resource you'll ever need. This bundle contains a detailed and challenging collection of workbook labs, plus an extensively detailed technical reference guide. All of us have earned the CCIE Service Provider certification...
The Future of Digital Health
6 BooksWe put together the most popular books from The Medical Futurist to provide a clear picture about the major trends shaping the future of medicine and healthcare. Digital health technologies, artificial intelligence, the future of 20 medical specialties, big pharma, data privacy and how technology giants such as Amazon or Google want to conquer...
Cisco CCNA 200-301 Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du guide préparation à l'examen de certification Cisco CCNA 200-301.
CCDE Practical Studies (All labs)
3 BooksCCDE lab
"The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++"
2 BooksGet my books "The C++ Standard Library" and "Concurrency with Modern C++" in a bundle. The first book gives you the details you should know about the C++ standard library; the second one dives deeper into concurrency with modern C++. In sum, you get more than 600 pages full of modern C++ and about 250 source files presenting the standard library...
Modern Management Made Easy
3 BooksRead all three Modern Management Made Easy books. Learn to manage yourself, lead and serve others, and lead the organization.
Linux Administration Complet
4 BooksCe lot comprend les quatre volumes du Guide Linux Administration :Linux Administration, Volume 1, Administration fondamentale : Guide pratique de préparation aux examens de certification LPIC 1, Linux Essentials, RHCSA et LFCS. Administration fondamentale. Introduction à Linux. Le Shell. Traitement du texte. Arborescence de fichiers. Sécurité...
Programming with Ease
3 BooksAlle drei Bände der Serie Programming with Ease in einem Paket. Darin findest du alles, was ich dir zu den wichtigsten Phasen der Softwareentwicklung im Hinblick auf Clean Code Development für langfristig hohe Produktivität sagen kann.Im Band Slicing findest du die Anforderungsanalyse im Rahmen eines iterativ-inkrementellen Vorgehensmodells aus...
2 BooksUnveil the power of Ansible and Vagrant with this bundle at a special price. You'll have everything you need to get started with Vagrant - learn the basics and how to create your virtual development environments, using Ansible as provisioner! About Vagrant Cookbook Vagrant Cookbook is a complete guide to get started with Vagrant and create your...