101 Green Software
101 Green Software
A Practical Guide for Developers & Architects
About the Book
Do you know that the greenhouse gas emissions from software applications surpassed those of the aviation industry in 2021? As our reliance on technology continues to grow worldwide, so does the environmental impact of software applications.
But as software developers, we have the power to make a positive impact in the fight against climate change. That's where this book comes in.
101 Green Software provides practical guidelines for building sustainable software that reduces the resources needed for running data centers, networks, and end-user devices. By following these guidelines, you can significantly reduce your carbon footprint while saving on cloud bills.
Whether you're looking to re-architect existing applications or build new ones from scratch, this book will show you how to make a meaningful difference in the world. With minimal development effort, you can create environmentally friendly software that helps prevent climate change.
Don't miss out on the opportunity to be part of the solution. Buy 101 Green Software today and join the growing movement of developers committed to building a better, greener world.
Discount Team Pack (6 copies)
About this book
What can you do to prevent climate change?
- Software decarbonization
- Decarbonized software
- How can you build green software?
- The author’s perspective
- What can you do to prevent climate change?
1 Don’t send your data around the world
- 1.1 Place your servers close to your end-users
1.2 Reduce the size of data sent over the network
- Filter out unnecessary data
- Compress data
- Cache data
- 1.3 Process data at its source
1.4 Adopt energy-efficient protocols
- How HTTP/2 works
- Energy efficiency of HTTP/2
- 1.5 Summary
2 Run your software on carbon-free electricity
- 2.1 Carbon-free electricity explained
2.2 Electricity mix in power grids
- Base load
- Intermediate load
- Peak load
- 2.3 Assessing the electricity mix
- 2.4 Choose a data center that consumes carbon-free energy
- 2.5 Run your code when the sun shines
2.6 Send your code where the sun shines
- Run your code where it’s cold outside
- Build a green Kubernetes scheduler
- 2.7 Summary
3 Get rid of redundant servers
- 3.1 Redundant servers explained
- 3.2 Adopt containers for high availability
- 3.3 Leverage automation for high availability
- 3.4 Get rid of redundant data centers
- 3.5 Trade-offs
- 3.6 Summary
4 Introduce a stop/start mechanism
- 4.1 Run your application as serverless functions
- 4.2 Run your application as serverless containers
- 4.3 Prefer serverless services
- 4.4 Trade-offs
- 4.5 Summary
5 Adopt green programming languages
- 5.1 Prefer compiled languages
- 5.2 Should you rewrite your application?
- 5.3 Summary
6 Decarbonize Java applications
6.1 Upgrade to the latest version of Java
- Benefit from compact strings
- Enable Application Class-Data Sharing
- Shrink your Java Runtime Environment
- 6.2 Use a JVM that consumes less memory
- 6.3 Use a Java framework that consumes less memory
- 6.4 Summary
- 6.1 Upgrade to the latest version of Java
7 How green is your software?
7.1 Less is… green!
- Get your cloud application Well-Architected
7.2 Energy labels for software applications
- What are the boundaries of your application?
- How does your application compare to others?
- 7.3 Summary
- 7.1 Less is… green!
8 How will you contribute?
- 8.1 Set priorities
- 8.2 Take your first steps
- 8.3 Track your progress
- 8.4 Reinvent software development
- Author biography
The Leanpub 60-day 100% Happiness Guarantee
Within 60 days of purchase you can get a 100% refund on any Leanpub purchase, in two clicks.
See full terms
80% Royalties. Earn $16 on a $20 book.
We pay 80% royalties. That's not a typo: you earn $16 on a $20 sale. If we sell 5000 non-refunded copies of your book or course for $20, you'll earn $80,000.
(Yes, some authors have already earned much more than that on Leanpub.)
In fact, authors have earnedover $12 millionwriting, publishing and selling on Leanpub.
Learn more about writing on Leanpub
Free Updates. DRM Free.
If you buy a Leanpub book, you get free updates for as long as the author updates the book! Many authors use Leanpub to publish their books in-progress, while they are writing them. All readers get free updates, regardless of when they bought the book or how much they paid (including free).
Most Leanpub books are available in PDF (for computers) and EPUB (for phones, tablets and Kindle). The formats that a book includes are shown at the top right corner of this page.
Finally, Leanpub books don't have any DRM copy-protection nonsense, so you can easily read them on any supported device.